Coffee anyone? (1 Viewer)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
It has a placebo effect i.e. you feel more awake because you drank it and it's supposed to help, but it really doesn't do a thing. It doesn't wake you, it just masks feelings of tiredness. I don't think there's anything you can do to actually "wake yourself up" except get enough sleep.

Having said that, I am the biggest caffiene addict around and my poison of choice when I can't get to a place that will make me proper stuff is Nescafe Gold. Mmm coffee.
Yep, I go with Nescafe Gold at home. I figured that buying a coffee machine would make me drink even MORE coffee than I already do.

HSC
i-love-maynard said:
Oh and just wondering......can you snort no doz? Would it be harmful?
why would you wanna do that when you can swallow it?

i-love-maynard said:
Can somebody tell me about these No Doze caffiene supplement things? I've heard good and bad things about them. I'd like to give them a go. Where can I get them from? Price, possible side effects etc.
You can get them from woolies for around 7 bucks. Last time I took them I felt really dizzy and nauseous. Couldn't even think straight.

Never ever again, I'll just stick to V bottles thanks.

But I guess it affects everyone differently.

Last edited:

whiteboy123

HSC
i-love-maynard said:
Can somebody tell me about these No Doze caffiene supplement things? I've heard good and bad things about them. I'd like to give them a go. Where can I get them from? Price, possible side effects etc.

Yeah, I get terrible headaches from withdrawal too. Its shocking, how reliant I am on coffee but I love it so much. I hate how teachers will drink it in class right in front of you and you can smell the aroma and just want some.
I have 2x short blacks and a cigarette for breakfast before even thinking about waking up.. and as for no-doze, its shit. they have the same amount of caffiene as a cup of coffee.. and way less enjoyable..

HSC
I've always been in love with iced coffee. Now I'm starting to like coffee, the hot stuff. Except I don't know what all the different names mean. I wouldn't know my mocha from my macchiato. :eek:

Shoubadoo

HSC
Apparently apples wake you up better than coffee.
Google it, I say.

I don't drink coffee. But I do eat plenty o apples.

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away, but if the doctor is cute, screw the fruit" :)

HSC
whiteboy123 said:
I have 2x short blacks and a cigarette for breakfast before even thinking about waking up.. and as for no-doze, its shit. they have the same amount of caffiene as a cup of coffee.. and way less enjoyable..
true. My school doesn't sell coffee anymore though. I kinda got it banned when I threw it on this kid. So I need no doz to make up for it.

Evan11

HSC
Slidey said:
Caffeine is a stimulant like amphetamine (speed). Caffeine is marked essentially by two chemicals:

Adrenaline is a stress hormone, making your body ready to fight. It increases: endurance, reaction speed, strength. Adrenaline strongly inhibits short-term memory; trying to learn whilst stressed is a very bad idea - keep that in mind when you become a parent. Most other stimulants increase noradrenaline instead (which acts on the brain as well, unlike adrenaline). This physical stimulation is partially why coffee wakes you up.

Dopamine is where all the important stuff happens. Because dopamine is responsible for reward learning (among many other things), increasing production makes boring and repetitive tasks appear 'rewarding'; it does increase motivation, especially for said boring tasks. It also enhances short-term memory processing. (In conjunction with adrenaline, the net result is that caffeine inhibits memory recall and storage unless it is relevant to the topic at hand.)

The people who say coffee doesn't do anything, or doesn't really wake them up, are often people with ADHD (abnormally low dopamine, noradrenaline and adrenaline levels). Whilst a weak stimulant, the effects are strong enough to take the edge off ADHD symptoms in a way that seems like the opposite of what caffeine is claimed to do, so it appears as though the caffeine isn't working.

A similar phenomenon occurs in stronger stimulants; normal people get euphoric (high), speedy and more outgoing on them, people with ADHD often become slightly withdrawn, calmer, more focused, and less hyperactive. Half the time it feels as though dexamphetamine is putting me to sleep. Only at a dose meant to get high on do I start to feel sociable/outgoing (you can forget high).

To quote wikipedia:
Hey u seem to know ur stuff, any explanation for this:

Every time i have alcoholic drinks and caffiene drinks (either mixing red bull + vodka, jager bombs or those smirnoff and guarana drinks, pulse), the next day at around midday when i am having like a recovery nap (Which i do most times after such nights) my heart starts beating really really fast all of a sudden, and it hadnt been doing that before. It does it for about 10 - 15 minutes while im laying down (n.b. this is NOT the first time i have slept, it is the next day). Is this just a weird quirk of my body or..?

cheers!

HSC
Evan11 said:
Hey u seem to know ur stuff, any explanation for this:

Every time i have alcoholic drinks and caffiene drinks (either mixing red bull + vodka, jager bombs or those smirnoff and guarana drinks, pulse), the next day at around midday when i am having like a recovery nap (Which i do most times after such nights) my heart starts beating really really fast all of a sudden, and it hadnt been doing that before. It does it for about 10 - 15 minutes while im laying down (n.b. this is NOT the first time i have slept, it is the next day). Is this just a weird quirk of my body or..?

cheers!
I think this is heart palpitations (sp?)
Correct me if I'm wrong though. I've gotten it a few times after drinking lots and lots of coffee.

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
I've had side effects from drinking coffee too, that's why I stopped.
I used to be a coffee addict, but then it started giving me painful cramps in the abdomen and headaches. I ignored it, and went on with my daily consumption. Then one morning the headache turned into a fever (that came out of no where), and i blacked out in the middle of the street. Woke up a few hours later, and never drank coffee again.

Headaches and cramps are all gone now. To get off the coffee addiction, try decaf.

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
no the headaches accompanied the cramps, it wasn't a singular symptom. The cause was excessive caffine, which lead to bad blood circulation, especially during that time of the month.

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
i love love love love coffee...
it doesn't do anything for me anymore, though i like to believe it does :p
and in desperate times i pretend it's a magical energy drink.

Favourite coffee place is Toby's, (near USYD on City rd, just past the Lansdowne) <3 the BEST, absolutely AMAZING coffee!!!!!!!! (i normally need 2+ sugars in coffee, here i need none- the taste is divine :))

Fave instant is Robert Timms <3

and believe it or not, if i'm in a huge hurry, Hungry Jacks coffee hits the spot! (far better than maccas anyway- yewwwww)

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
Slidey said:
I don't recommend snorting any over the counter or prescription drugs. Many of them contain chemicals designed to be broken down in the liver, but when crushed will freely be absorbed by the mucous membranes, permanently damaging them.
wise words

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
Iheartpaulfrank said:
I've always been in love with iced coffee. Now I'm starting to like coffee, the hot stuff. Except I don't know what all the different names mean. I wouldn't know my mocha from my macchiato. :eek:

mocca is a latte with chocolate. it has a tablespoon of cocoa powder, shot of coffee, hot milk and froth at the top (you are able to see the layers at the top. and then topped off with cocoa powder.

macchiato is a shot of coffee with froth on top of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)