Cohort ranks vs Raw marks HSC (1 Viewer)

chardy2651

HSC
Why are cohort ranks for your subjects more important then the marks you are getting?from what i have heard on bos?but i dont get why i thought marks would give a better indication of what atar to get then your ranks

Please explain both how they both work in determining/indicating your atar.

and which one is better at predicting your atar?from ranks or marks?please explain

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Because your ranks ultimately influence your internal marks calculated by the Board of studies. For example, a person who is ranked 1st will get the top internal mark of the cohort, even if the external performance of this individual is not the highest of the cohort.

Marks don't matter because every school in the state marks different, and thus it is an inaccurate way to determine internal marks. As a result, the rank is more of a determining factor upon internal marks, however the relative gap of each rank (the mark difference) does play a part.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
so the main aim is to get good ranks

good ranks=good atar?
Yeah. But that said don't go off breaking your rivals' hands, you need to be good yourself to get a good ATAR since 50% of externals make your ATAR

braintic

HSC
N/A
The rank is more of a determining factor upon internal marks, however the relative gap of each rank (the mark difference) does play a part.
Once the spread of assessment marks is determined by the highest and lowest external mark in your cohort, the relative gap is the ONLY thing that matters. Ranks are merely a by-product of these marks. When moderating the assessment marks, other than first and last, the concept of rank is NOT used.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Once the spread of assessment marks is determined by the highest and lowest external mark in your cohort, the relative gap is the ONLY thing that matters. Ranks are merely a by-product of these marks. When moderating the assessment marks, other than first and last, the concept of rank is NOT used.
Yes i know that. I didn't say anywhere that your rank will thus give you a set internal mark (e.g rank 5 = 5th best internal mark).

I wasn't trying to explain the whole process, if that's what the OP wants he is better off going on the BOS website and reading the information provided.

D94

HSC
N/A
so the main aim is to get good ranks

good ranks=good atar?
A higher rank just means you will get an equal or better moderated assessment mark than the person/people below you. It does not imply anything else.

Good ranks do not necessarily imply a good ATAR (although, 'good' is subjective - maybe ranking 90th at James Ruse is considered bad, but that student will probably perform to a standard that places them with a 98 ATAR).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)