Cold War Culture (1 Viewer)

Scatterbrain

Personally the dot point on the development of a cold war culture & its main chaacteristics is a bit vague....if anyone can give me a run down of wat sort of stuff needs to be included, would be much appreciated

so far all i can think of it the doves & hawks, bioploar world & espionage

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
[/FONT]Yeah i think this point is a little ambigious - i dont know seem like we didn't go over it in class either

nevertheless i did look it up for an essay so from what i gather

Cold War culture refers to the creation of distrust within the world due to the growing fear within teh west of communism and the communist fear of the imperialist nature of the west - basically big circle of mistrust

this was highlighted thorugh spying, 'containment' policy, espiongae as u said
um i would think you could look a propoganda that was devleoped

mabye you would need to refer to how the presidents/soviet leaders enforced this idea - um i was thinking of something now i lost it... the whole sensasionalistation of everything though... it was like OMG the communist did this quickly we need to get invovled and vice versa

k that is kinda simple - but its my basic understanding of the concept... i did an essay on it - if i can find it and up load it which i'm having problems with i'll try and post it...

otherwise have a look in the maquarie study guide - follows the dot points to a key its pretty good

scarletD

sweet child
HSC
Dot Point Two: creation of a Cold War culture & its characteristics:

-distrust: mutual. made negotiations difficult, encouraged space n arms race, each stressing its superiority. Intensified by various incidents eg. U2 spy plane 1960 Paris Summit. Often led to crises.

-espionage: CIA vs. KGB. (KGB internalised survilliance, had its own army) USA: national security council 1947, increased military spending. USSR: 5th columnists planted abroad to encourage internal subversions

-propaganda: the Cold War was about ideas. both sides controlled the flow of information & misinformation. USA: portrayed communism as a murky shadow, an unstoppable stream that must be resisted. USSR: limited info about the west. foreigners=capitalists=enemies. Soviet life was "morally superior".

-tension: internationally high. every small conflict was a potential world war. nuclear weapons increased fear but also brinkmanship. highest point of tension: cuban missile criss 1962

badly elaborated and over simplistic ^^;;

Mike iE

HSC
You can also mention the compettiveness between the two camps. Using the space/arms race and sporting contests such as the Olympics to prove whose ideology was superior.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)