Coles Supermarket and the Union (1 Viewer)

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Ok, got the job and now the union stuff was given to me. Its funny though, how at the orientation all the new employees got brainwashed by the union people, maily because they kept mentioning "Movie Tickets etc"!!. Anyway can someone help me

Q. If i dont sign the union, do i still get the same "payrate" as everyone else?

Q. If i sign, do i get a higher payrate?

Q. Seeing as its Tax Debuctable, Why not sign??

Peartie

HSC
i dontknow about coles per se but with Woolies you get the same pay rate as if you dont - the only REAL benefit to signing is if your boss is fucking you over or something and you need to take them to court or some shit you can use their lawyers etc.......plus the freebies are sometimes good ones :)

boris

Banned
HSC
1. You get the same payrate regardless of whether you join
2. You don't get a higher payrate
3. Unions are shitcuntmotherfuckers, but in terms of covering your arse as a young employee I'd say join it.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Are there benefits from not joining, and what is bad about Unions (thanks for all your comments so far guys!!!):wave:

boris

Banned
HSC
milocole said:
Are there benefits from not joining, and what is bad about Unions (thanks for all your comments so far guys!!!):wave:
No benefits from not joining, but when the Union throw hissyfits and strike etc you wont get penalised for going to work instead of going on strike.

I dont know how a Coles Supermarket and its union would work, I just know from experience with the Health Services Union that it's a colossal waste of time.

But as I said, as a young employee at a supermarket I'd do it. That way you've got some protection if you're getting ripped off in regards to hours/pay rates/ etc.

Evilo

HSC
This thread has already occured
read - http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=155369

I've posted heaps of information related to my expeirences with the union on the 2nd and 3rd pages.

In summary - the union is a waste of time.

boris said:
1. You get the same payrate regardless of whether you join
2. You don't get a higher payrate
3. Unions are shitcuntmotherfuckers, but in terms of covering your arse as a young employee I'd say join it.
Agreed with 1 & 2
3 - i disagree unless you're retarded and you cant tell your manager to pay you properly.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Well, no Union for me, id rather not go and waste my time, and dont have to wait until tax time to get my money back!!!!

The only reason I was going to do it, was for the benefits, but after they brainwashed everyone else, i was the only one taking my form home and "looking over it", which they pressured me not to because the wanted me to sign it "NOW".

Well, there not getting my $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

bassistx

HSC
Coles is too cold. Can you tell them to do something about the aircon? Everybody was freezing today.
That is all :)

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
The movies are colder, everyone starts to take off there clothes:jaw:

xoa

HSC
When I worked for Coles back in ~2004, the SDA was completely useless. I'd advise against joining, though you might get called a "freeloader". The SDA is far too close to the company, Coles must pay them kickbacks. I never once used their junk discount card.

I worked on checkout. My so-called union steward often pressured me to spend 15 minutes or so after my shift ended, to clean up, transfer the till cash, etc. Problem is, I never got paid for this time. After I had enough, I asked her for a record of employment, which she said was against company policy. The union never responded to my emails of complaint. So much for helping workers. At least the mafia actually protects you after you pay them their dues.

xoa

HSC
When I worked for Coles back in ~2004, the SDA was completely useless. I'd advise against joining, though you might get called a "freeloader". The SDA is far too close to the company, Coles must pay them kickbacks.

I worked on checkout. My so-called union steward often pressured me to spend 15 minutes or so after my shift ended, to clean up, transfer the till cash, etc. Problem is, I never got paid for this time. After I had enough, I asked her for a record of employment, which she said was against company policy. So much for helping workers. SDA never responded to my complaints. They're like the mafia, except their "protection money" doesn't actually give you protection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)