Collage at uni vs living at home (1 Viewer)

HSC
I was flicking through the St John's college magazine and found this:

Dr Daintree said:
It is likely that the US & UK model of teriary education as a strictly residentual experience will gradually gain ground agains the traditional Australian model of living at home with parents and attending lectures at the 'local' university...
Which got me thinking - WILL Australia eventually adopt a college based tertiary system? what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing so?

I'm personally not big on the idea, I think like America it could generate a 'tier' system in universities with intelligent/rich students going to better universities whilst rubbish students studying at institutions with the academic cerdibility of your average toilet block.

Opinions?

xoa

HSC
Won't work here in Australia. Or unis are too interested in the "bums on seats" conveyor-belt education system. They want to get students in and out as quickly as possible, and they can't do that if most students live on campus. If anything, Australia is heading further in the opposite direction, with more lectures being delivered by podcasts and such.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)