Colleges (1 Viewer)

grimreaper

HSC
Hi I'm currently applyin for colleges at UNSW and am looking at shalom, New and Kensington Colleges. I was just wondering are they all fairly similar or are there big differences between them? Are they suited for different types of people? Thanks

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
i been to rooms in shalom college and goldstein
shalom rooms are nice. a bit bigger than goldstein, has a bathroom to yourself, but located away on lower campus a bit far from most classes, but is next to mcdonalds lol
goldstein rooms are pretty small..just a box..bed, table. but the good thing is that its located next to the quad - middle campus.

s2ophie

HSC
I live at New therefore i am very biased but I would definately recommend New. I was certain that i wanted to go to the Kenso's but i got into New first and later Baxter and by the time i got the Baxter offer my parents were very intent on the idea of me going to New. Personally, that was the best thing that could of happened to me. New is awesome and i'm sure that the Kenso's are great too (I know ppl who go there who love it aswell) but i think that the major diference is that New is more academic andits a dry college. For a lot of people those two factors turn them away straight away but it definately shouldn't. A dry college just means you don't have as many passed out people in your common room or rowdy people drinking to all hours and its really not an issue if you drink in your room as long as you don't get caught. Also it means that there is more need to go out so you don't end up pathetic and just staying in college and getting pissed all the time. New has an awesome social life (as do the kenso's but shalom is very tame.) The rooms at new are all the same size except the ones on the new 4th floor which are much bigger and better but the normal rooms which you would most likely get as a fresher are still fine. They're not too small. New is more exspensive than the Kenso's but you get more academic support and you're linen done and a few other things. Also the fact that its an Anglican College can mean as much or as little as you want it to. If you are christian and want to be involved with that there is heaps but if you're not and you have no interest in that (like me) there is no pressure or anything.

Umm can't think of anything else now. If you have specific questions pm me.

s2ophie

HSC
I suppose the deterring factor for new is the location but for most people its not that bad (it sucks for med students) but if you're an engineer i doubt its much further than it would be for the kensos. But new is awesomely located for public transport and is closest to the Rege and Churchies. (and unibar because international house doesn't really count ;) )

s2ophie

HSC
Being dry is not as big a problem as you think. The advantages are that more people make the effort to go out rather than having an exclusive drink in their room which is quite antisocial. Also being a dry keeps the noise down to a level and means you have less drunk ppl stumbling around. The disadvantage is that if you do want to have a quiet drink in your room you have to be secretive about it but thats ok because you can still get away with it. Otherwise there is often a group outon the VG having a drink before unibar which is alsways sociable. Its a rule that annoys me but most of the time i'm glad that its there and really it doesn't make much difference to the college experience.

Asquithian said:
yeah new college is rather christian isnt it?

Kensington colleges are the best at unsw...co ed..private room...not dry...
It's not that christian. Its up to you. You can be very involved in the christian activities or you can be like me and not involved at all. Its a bad thing but there is a division between the christians and the non-cristians but there is plenty for everyone whichever you are.

And i wouldn't say the Kenso's are the best. I know i'm biased but there is a lot of bad things about the kenso's. If you are more academic, a lot of people at the Kenso's find it hard to get work done. New is also co-ed. All the colleges have private rooms. And as i said being a dry college isn't much of an issue. Also New has just done major renovations and eventually there will be more so everything is updated.\

ahh i feel like i'm in PR! Go New!

s2ophie

HSC
melbournian said:
How about VD's? what do you do if it is dry?
we just go to the local pub after the match to celebrate...

mack

Banned
HSC
Shalom=Evil cultists. If you eat meat at the milk table or vice versa you are sacrificed to the god of kocher.

ashllis92

HSC
I live at New therefore i am very biased but I would definately recommend New. I was certain that i wanted to go to the Kenso's but i got into New first and later Baxter and by the time i got the Baxter offer my parents were very intent on the idea of me going to New. Personally, that was the best thing that could of happened to me. New is awesome and i'm sure that the Kenso's are great too (I know ppl who go there who love it aswell) but i think that the major diference is that New is more academic andits a dry college. For a lot of people those two factors turn them away straight away but it definately shouldn't. A dry college just means you don't have as many passed out people in your common room or rowdy people drinking to all hours and its really not an issue if you drink in your room as long as you don't get caught. Also it means that there is more need to go out so you don't end up pathetic and just staying in college and getting pissed all the time. New has an awesome social life (as do the kenso's but shalom is very tame.) The rooms at new are all the same size except the ones on the new 4th floor which are much bigger and better but the normal rooms which you would most likely get as a fresher are still fine. They're not too small. New is more exspensive than the Kenso's but you get more academic support and you're linen done and a few other things. Also the fact that its an Anglican College can mean as much or as little as you want it to. If you are christian and want to be involved with that there is heaps but if you're not and you have no interest in that (like me) there is no pressure or anything.

Umm can't think of anything else now. If you have specific questions pm me.

I know this thread is rather ancient but if you're still around s2ophie is there still a big divide between christians and non christians because that really really sucks!

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
I know this thread is rather ancient but if you're still around s2ophie is there still a big divide between christians and non christians because that really really sucks!
There isn't a split, really. It was more pronounced last year, but this year it has changed a fair bit and it's a bit more harmonious. It's also not an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)