Combined Degrees (1 Viewer)

MattDarns

HSC
N/A
Can someone explain to me how combined degrees work, and whether or not the degrees have to be related, or can they be completely separate? Also, do most universities offer them or is it only a select bunch that do?

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Can someone explain to me how combined degrees work, and whether or not the degrees have to be related, or can they be completely separate? Also, do most universities offer them or is it only a select bunch that do?
Most unis offer them. Sometimes they're related and sometimes they're not (like B Law/B Art). You can visit any unis website and they'll have all of their courses listed, including the double degrees they offer.
I'm not an expert but I believe you just do each course's units simultaneously. So if Person A is doing a B Arts they will do 4 art units in a semester, but Person B doing B Art/B Law will do 2 art and 2 law units per sem - but I feel like you can also customise this? Depends on the uni I guess.

Feel free to correct me if anyone thinks this info is incorrect :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Most unis offer them. Sometimes they're related and sometimes they're not (like B Law/B Art). You can visit any unis website and they'll have all of their courses listed, including the double degrees they offer.
I'm not an expert but I believe you just do each course's units simultaneously. So if Person A is doing a B Arts they will do 4 art units in a semester, but Person B doing B Art/B Law will do 2 art and 2 law units per sem - but I feel like you can also customise this? Depends on the uni I guess.

Feel free to correct me if anyone thinks this info is incorrect :)
yeah that's sorta right

or 1 art three law

or 0 art 4 law to be counterbalanced with 4 art 0 law in future

You just get less electives and you work towards both degrees at the same time, that's it. For instance, this semester, I overloaded and I did one course towards my science degree, and four towards my arts degree.

The semester before that, I did one for each - doing only two subjects.

CTon

HSC
You're a long way off yet, but essentially it is just cutting out the electives of two degrees. Example: Instead of doing 2x 3 year degrees across a 6 year period you do the two in a 4 year period with no extra workload required to that of a normal degree.

They're becoming increasingly popular. Some universities are have very flexible degrees (anything with anything). Others are more structured/offer less in terms of broadness.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)