combined law at sydney (1 Viewer)

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
generator, for undergraduate law as a whole, not just commerce law. applications are made for combined law, not any combination in particular. and in any case, it's not even 90, it's 80 places, but 10 fee paying.

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
walla bro... are u sure... cos i rmb laz saying awhile back its more than 90(80hecs)

if its 80... then the uai cutoff would b incredibly high dis yr... higher even than med in the non-umat days...
it would b around 99.80 or higher.... n thats quite inconceivable

adamj

Originally posted by lil_star
How about if you have the EAS scheme and are eligible for 5 points...but then i feel....there wud already be so much competition b/w 99.xx students that people like me 94.5+ wont get in....im thinking of puting b com/b law my first pref...who cares if i dont get in then id just take b com alone....
EAS runs of a different system. Each course has spots dedicated to EAS scheme, but your biggest hope would be that those who you are competing against for a place in the course got a low UAI, that way they don't beat you into that course.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
laz said a while ago that usyd was cutting law places back down to 90, from th 250 or so it was last year. nothing has been confirmed yet, but i'm meeting the dean of the law school on open day, so if you guys want, i'll ask him

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
Originally posted by rukawasan
walla bro... are u sure... cos i rmb laz saying awhile back its more than 90(80hecs)

if its 80... then the uai cutoff would b incredibly high dis yr... higher even than med in the non-umat days...
it would b around 99.80 or higher.... n thats quite inconceivable
laz said 90 inc. 10 fee. he also said that the cutoff would be about 99.80 :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The cutback in places to 90 was what USYD were advertising at their open day (and the cut-off I mentioned was calculated as if the cutback had been made for 2003 admissions).

It's possible that they've chosen not to pursue this course of action now that the HECS reforms have been watered down.

It's also possible that the website is incorrect.
Originally posted by rukawasan
hmmm... prolly not the rite thread... but i heard frm ppl who did unsw comb law that if ur interested in a commerce related future than stick 2 single bachelor of commerce... n do honours 2 maximise career opportunities... n if ur interetewd in law related future then do comb law... they say that doing comb law is ptless if ur interested in taking on a commerce related future... is this true?
I can't agree that doing combined law could ever be "pointless" if you're planning on entering the corporate world. A law degree opens all the doors to upper management positions. Besides, as always, it's easy to just drop down to the single B Commerce degree if you so choose, but it's very difficult to pick up law. You've got the first three years of your degree to decide whether to keep the law component or not.

adamj

The high UAIs for law are essential although can be frustrating. Often those who are committed and motivated to legal practice, often do not straight off recieve a high UAI. Many do Graduate Law, or the Diploma. Either way a problem in our society is many people have law degrees, in fact too many. This causes problems when there are not enough positions in the private sector (and soon public sector) to handle the amount of applicants. It is you case of classical demand vs supply, there is a surplus.

In the 1990s many people were taking out litigation, becuase the laws were able to allow many cases to be tried with success for plaintiffs, regardless of the moral outrage. With new laws this year, it has meant people, especially in Tort Law are reconsidering litigation, this has meant that gradually we are having a decline in the amount of lawyers needed. It seems that one would need to have sufficient qualifications, beyond those set by the LPAB.

tycoontyphoon

having spoken to the dean's assistant at the open day today, she confirmed that there would be 250 places in undergrad law next year. about 160-170 hecs places for yr 12 students, 30 for access, and 50 full fee-paying.

t'would seem that that 90 ppl (10 ff-p's) thing is for grad law.

hope that solves this little chestnut!

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
hey, ronny macallum is cool...he knows me by name! :D:p

any way, i thought his lecture was...entertaining :)

mememe

Originally posted by tycoontyphoon
having spoken to the dean's assistant at the open day today, she confirmed that there would be 250 places in undergrad law next year. about 160-170 hecs places for yr 12 students, 30 for access, and 50 full fee-paying.

Next year there will be about 250 places, but if i did arts and tried to transfer into arts/law in 2005, is there a chance they may have changed by then, cutting down places and making a transfer more impossible than it already is???

AGB

HSC
as an extension of mememe's post, is it likely that the cut off for combined law @ usyd is going to go up next year? i know that this is a pretty tough question, but in your opinion...

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
i doubt most ppl will be getting the full 5 marks for EAS, how disadvantaged can a person be? siblings dying, transferring skool, druggo and parents divorcing...hmm and they say only 1 in 3 applicants get EAS

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
narh, for law it was 95.05 last yeah at usyd?

in short, yes i think usyd law will continue going up till it hit 99.85, then they'll start putting in interviews and umat :D;p

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
narh, for law it was 95.05 last yeah at usyd?

in short, yes i think usyd law will continue going up till it hit 99.85, then they'll start putting in interviews and umat :D:p

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
not 99.85
that's impossibly high considering that only about 200 people get that mark and there are apparently 250 places

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
a fair point
but do you really think that EVERYONE with 99.85+, as well as at least 50 people from interstate are going to choose law at sydney?
come on

adamj

The thing is the cut-offs are not determined by how many people got over 99.85 let's say, but they are determined by the demand for the course. Not all students with a UAI over 99.85, applied for law, many applied for Medicine, others advanced forms of Arts or Sciences and Business areas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)