Combined Law (1 Viewer)

Alex

Heya guys, im thinking of doing a Law course and I just want to get your opinions on what is better.

• COMMERCE/LAW at USYD
  • COMMERCE/LAW at UNSW
  • COMMERCE/LAW at Mac
  • JOURNO/LAW at UTS
  • IT/LAW at UTS

That is my wish list with IT/LAW being no.1

What u guys think?

Nelly

Commerce/Law is the best to get into at UNSW, or if you want something different to do with IT, then so a Law/IST degree in Wollongong, it's really good. UNSW is by far the best university in Australia (After UOW :D)

Good luck getting into it though, it's a killer of a UAI, 99.3.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
i wanna get into commerce(accounting)/law at macquarie, coz the UAI is achieveable for me (94.2)
USYD and UNSW cut-offs are way too outrageous for me

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
yeh i want to do com/law at UNSW but 99.3 is way too high for me..
so im thinking either law/arts-international studies or laws/business at UTS (97.15? atil dont know if i can get that) or maybe comm/law at MACQ..
which course do you people think is better?
can any uni students doing international studies out there give me some opinions?

Nelly

Originally posted by Alex
what does the its/law at wollongong need?
Don't be fooled by the UAI, it's only about 94.5ish to get into law/IT at Wollongong, but it's still a excellent law degree.

Reminding you that 2 weeks ago UOW came 2nd to UNSW in the overall category of best university in Australia. And it also won the award for preparing students for the e-world, so IT at wollongong is excellent.

My bro did Math/Law at Wollongong, he's now 27, working as an Investment BAnker for Macquarie Bank in Korea. Rakes in hello lot of $$$. hehe.

And thats why you should go to UOW...

Kathleen

fatmuscle SUX
HSC
I think IT/LAW at uts would be great if you are really into the IT side aswell....
cause by looking at the subjects you would be doing.

Autumn
31466 Principles of Distributed Computing 6cp
31468 Information, Classification and Control 6cp
70105 Legal Research 4cp
70113 Legal Process and History 10cp
Spring semester
31467 Networking 1 6cp
31472 Introduction to Collaborative Systems 6cp
70211 Law of Contract 8cp
70217 Criminal Law 6cp

Evenly give you the taste of both degrees in first year.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I believe that even though the cutoff for IT/Law at UTS was 97.6 last year, they let in a few people that had UAIs just below the cutoff.

The high cutoff was (apparently) due to a desire to make the course appear to be 'good' when compared to combined law at USyd and UNSW.

I know of a few degrees at USyd where the same thing happened.

Nelly

Usyd is really good for Law, right opposite Supreme Court. Excellent place to study law. Same with UNSW, both have excellent law facultys.

Cyberflush

it is very good position.

I dont know why they are planning to move it back to the camperdown campus though. Probably makes more economic sense for them to though.

-Johnny-

Soul

New Title...
Yeah! go the Combined Law Degree!

Yeah! I am totally going for combined law as well!

I say that you check out the Uni open days and just go for the Uni that feels right for you!

I personally like Sydney (Awesome campus + excellent city location) and Macquarie...:)

Last edited:

ghostrider

macqaurie

yeah what are the combined law degrees like at macquarie.

basically the way i see it- usyd and unsw are pretty inaccesible being in the mid 99s but they are meant to be the best. not wanting to to law at uts because apart from the 'businness' combined bit there all revolve round journailism or some shit

so macqaurie seems the only sydney-based (besides uws) law degree that has a reasonable entrance mark. but then again iv'e heard law at macquarie is just a complete joke and that if u put it on ur resume' they bascially just shaft it off.

what are people's view of combined law at macqaurie?
and
if it is shit how hard it is to transfer into law at sydney or unsw?...iv'e heard its near to impossible.

SkAnDi

HSC
I want to go to USYD/UNSW for combined law.. but *sigh* my assessment marks this year are totally up shit creek.

I don't think even a 100 in all my subjects for HSC would save me :p

So i've been looking at alternate courses, macca seems alright.

My sister goes there at the moment, she says the combined law isn't bad (she's kinda bias). But hey if i go to maccas, i get free transport!

mmhmm

i really wanna do combined law either commerce/law at syd or media/law at uts!!!!!! but the uai's are too high!!!!!! i really dont know wat to do.....does any1 have any good suggestions particuarly about transfering from a lower course that would decrease the time doing the combined degree?? im so confused cause i really wanna do combined law with commerce or media !!!! help!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by mmhmm
i really wanna do combined law either commerce/law at syd or media/law at uts!!!!!! but the uai's are too high!!!!!! i really dont know wat to do.....does any1 have any good suggestions particuarly about transfering from a lower course that would decrease the time doing the combined degree?? im so confused cause i really wanna do combined law with commerce or media !!!! help!
if u seriously stuff up ur UAI, u can always just do a straight commerce degree, work ur ass off with distinction averages, and transfer into combined law in 2nd yr
or u could do graduate law (after u complete ur degree, i think?)

Soul

New Title...
aaah..............

But how many people have said ....'oooh i'll just transfer!'

the sad reality is that so many people will not care anymore once they get into uni to actually do more than pass

you have got to be motivated

also.....the transfer is 1/2 dependent (apparantly) upon the uai you get as well...................

PLUS! stop abusing Maquarie, we know it ain't no Usyd or UNSW nor maybe even UTS, the fact is it's still good,

ghostrider

yeah macquarie isn't sydney or unsw...true

if one was doing a combined law degree would you recommend combining it with commerce or combine it with economics.

i know ecos is narrower but im probably more interested in it... and ive heard commerce can be preety shit...you literally have to first year accounting which would suck.

Soul

New Title...
do what you like

obviously you'll do better ;-)

i prefer commerce myself.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

There is a perception that USYD, UNSW law people are full super einstein freaks eh!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)