• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Combined Law (1 Viewer)

Matthew_152

Is it worth doing a combined law/ Business (Accounting) degree, just for the prestige (even if u dont want to become a Lawyer, etc) ...or would a degree with majors in both Accounting and Economics (which i am good at)...lead to a more diverse range of employment opportunites? Thanks in advance...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
If you don't want to do law, don't just do it for the prestige cos you'll be taking someone else's place that REALLY wants to do it and actually work in the law area. Thats my feelings anyway.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
people tend to be more motivated and good at subjects that they like.. and if you dont like law then you will end up hating it.. then changing courses and having to buy all the crap again
i read someone on the forum some chick got 90 something uai and shes doing agriculture.. (i think she topped it?) which only needs like 70 or something

santaslayer

HSC
wow, what course, thats pretty amazing!

and yea, dont do law, thats just selfish if ur doing it to look good. and at the end of the day, u wont look coz u'll prolly be failing it coz of boredom or lack of motivation

Matthew_152

but santaslayer, arent u only doing law to look good...i thought u were only planning to go into accounting anyway.... but i understand what u mean...thx guys.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
doing a law degree and then not becoming a lawyer doesn't mean you've wasted a place :confused:
there are many fields where legal knowledge may be useful, and it'll certainly help when you're up for a management place in your firm. employers like law students not just because of the prestige.. even if you might not need to know a lot of the stuff you learn, you're trained with logical thinking that is very desirable. there are so many uses for law in the commercial world.. you could help with drawing up a contract or even just knowing the legal jargon etc

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
couldn't you just do a few law subjectives as electives in accounting/economics program?

Matthew_152

yes, i could...in fact, becasue i am going for CA/CPA Accreditation, i do have to do 3 commercial law units...but would empoloyers take any notice of this?

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
well you should mention that you have completed the three law subjects in your resume, and employers would take notice of that i think.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Matthew_152
thx toodulu...but now i am confused...should i be doing law or economics with accounting?
yes, i could...in fact, becasue i am going for CA/CPA Accreditation, i do have to do 3 commercial law units...but would empoloyers take any notice of this?
do economics, its more useful in business...employers look for qualified economists

but dude, you have to think about it, are u willing to spend years doing irrelevant subjects such as criminal law just for the sake of the LLB? it would be much more productive and enjoyable for u to do eco/accounting over law, because the benefits of getting a better job/pay with an LLB are negligible compared with the benefits of NOT doing law

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
1. you hafto be sleezy to do law

people that enjoy law have it natural ever since they were born
either you made for it or your not
not everyone is suitable for law

2. r u a good public speaker?

most people do law bcoz it looks/sounds good, and their parents want to show off to other parents that their children is doing law.
but its not good if your full on shy and sound like a mouse.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Dingo2004
1. you hafto be sleezy to do law

most people do law bcoz it looks/sounds good, and their parents want to show off to other parents that their children is doing law.
but its not good if your full on shy and sound like a mouse.
BULLSHIT

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
i agree with u minai...thanks. Do u know how much maths is required in accounting and economics?
how much maths..if u did 2U in year 12, u should be able to handle all the concepts in first year at least
in accounting theres virtually no maths, but in economics, you'll have to do a couple of metrics subjects (which is essentially statistics, regression, probability etc)

Matthew_152

ok, but if i organise my time good enough, i should be able to learn this maths as i go, right? ...also at USYD there is a maths learning centre...so if im keen enough i think i should get through it.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Unfortunately, I'm not doing Law because I want to.. my passion lies with Forensic Science, which can't be done at Newcastle unless you combine it with Law. If there was a Forensic Science degree, though, I would have taken that - so I guess I don't fall into the category of "doing it to look good".. I hope..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)