combined or straight med? (1 Viewer)

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
hi,
just wondering whether it would smarter/easier to go for straight med at unsw or combined music/med or arts/med at usyd.

in the end i want to be a doctor, so the extra music or arts wont really be of much use to me in the future. but would it be easier to get in (even though they say 99.95 for arts or 99.5 for music), considering that it doesnt count umat and because my audition might win me a few extra marks?
im doing my lmus atm.

thanks

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Im pretty sure its 99.95 minimum at usyd, regardless of the combination.
Usyd is more ''prestigious'' in medicine, largely due to the fact they except like 20 (maybe less) undergrads a year.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
risole91 said:
Usyd is more ''prestigious'' in medicine, largely due to the fact they except like 20 (maybe less) undergrads a year.
its kinda overinflated given that in 2016 you may not even get a job with the med degree.. given the current state of intake

doink

Clone
HSC
how is it more prestigious? They dont even offer undergrad med.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
doink said:
how is it more prestigious? They dont even offer undergrad med.
shhhhh dont tell!!!.... just wait for them to find out :) ... its best for all the others that know that

lionking1191

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
its kinda overinflated given that in 2016 you may not even get a job with the med degree.. given the current state of intake
:(

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
nah. the minimum UAI for BMus/MBBS is 99.50, with interview and audition.

lionking1191

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
awww its ok.. i have a job guaranteed.. :)..
or i could just go do law and try to get you sued somehow for malpractice :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
lionking1191 said:
or i could just go do law and try to get you sued somehow for malpractice :)
could if i was that bad a medical practitioner..

dolbinau

HSC
I'd go to UNSW undergraduate, apparently people actually reject the small offers USYD give them because of the tough requirements to keep in the course (I can't remember the exact thing, there was like a thing they needed to keep in the 80s? Wasn't GPA hmm)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
dolbinau said:
I'd go to UNSW undergraduate, apparently people actually reject the small offers USYD give them because of the tough requirements to keep in the course (I can't remember the exact thing, there was like a thing they needed to keep in the 80s? Wasn't GPA hmm)
They need to maintain credit average, do advanced subjects, non-credit points, etc. Read all about it here: http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/futurestudent/combineddegree/index.php#profile
http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/futurestudent/combineddegree/admission/sci-med.php

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
In reality, if you're 'bright' enough to get the 99.50 or 99.95 or whatever on earth the requirement is nowadays then you're more than capable of maintaing the credit average to stay in the course (I think you need to maintain a distinction average to keep your scholarship however - so most people seem to take this as the grade they need to maintain).

Speaking to a few of my friends that are currently in the course, they certainly aren't finding it too tough to keep their marks relatively high.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)