combs maths help (1 Viewer)

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Hey!
For the question 'How many ways can u choose 5 letters from MAMMOTH, i tried doing cases- case 1: all Ms, case 2: 2 Ms and Case 3: 1 M but im not getting the answer. Are my cases incorrect?

TheShy

HSC
So out of 5 letters to choose out of 7 total letters : _ _ _ _ _. Number of ways to do that is 7P5, which should = to 2520. However hte word MAMMOTH has the letter M repeating 3 times, so you would divide by 3!. Thus the answer should be (I think) 2520/3!. Check with the answers cos im not 100% sure

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
So out of 5 letters to choose out of 7 total letters : _ _ _ _ _. Number of ways to do that is 7P5, which should = to 2520. However hte word MAMMOTH has the letter M repeating 3 times, so you would divide by 3!. Thus the answer should be (I think) 2520/3!. Check with the answers cos im not 100% sure
hey! the answer is 11

idkkdi

HSC
Hey!
For the question 'How many ways can u choose 5 letters from MAMMOTH, i tried doing cases- case 1: all Ms, case 2: 2 Ms and Case 3: 1 M but im not getting the answer. Are my cases incorrect?
MAMMOTH

Choose 5 letters, means leaving 2 out. Alternatively just choose the two left out. M-M,A,O,T,H. A-O,T,H. O-T,H. T-H.

TheShy

HSC
Case 1: One M's - choose the other 4 letters from AOTH: 4C4 = 1
Case 2: Two M's - choose the other 3 letters from AOTH: 4C3 = 4
Case 3: Three M's - choose the other 2 letters from AOTH: 4C2 = 6

Total = 4+6+1 = 11

TheShy

HSC
How does this 4C stuff work? Haven't done combinatorics properly yet, I just intuition them out.
Combinations is similar to permutations, just that the order matters. Permuation is when the order doesnt matter, and combination is when the order does matter. Combinations are in the form nCr, which is . The 4C4 means that from 4 choose 4, and 4C3 means from 4 choose 3 and so on. They might also write in another way, that is fraction without the horizontal bar :

idkkdi

HSC
Combinations is similar to permutations, just that the order matters. Permuation is when the order doesnt matter, and combination is when the order does matter. Combinations are in the form nCr, which is . The 4C4 means that from 4 choose 4, and 4C3 means from 4 choose 3 and so on. They might also write in another way, that is fraction without the horizontal bar :
I meant the proof for that. Dw, just remembered I wrote up one last yr for content.

Last edited:

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Case 1: One M's - choose the other 4 letters from AOTH: 4C4 = 1
Case 2: Two M's - choose the other 3 letters from AOTH: 4C3 = 4
Case 3: Three M's - choose the other 2 letters from AOTH: 4C2 = 6

Total = 4+6+1 = 11
when you choose the Ms, how come you don't include choosing the M out of the 3 so like 3C1 ?

TheShy

HSC
when you choose the Ms, how come you don't include choosing the M out of the 3 so like 3C1
Cause they are repeating. If you had MMM theres only one way since they are considered the same. If that makes sense

idkkdi

HSC
when you choose the Ms, how come you don't include choosing the M out of the 3 so like 3C1 ?
Because it's the same letters. M1, M2, M3 sure. But in this case, there is no point of difference.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
This is because your kind of keeping the M’s ‘constant’ and choosing everything around it.

Suppose you do something like 3C1. That means out of the 3 M’s your choosing one of them. All the M’s are the exact same thing though so it does not matter which one you choose because the combination of letters will still be the same. So like if you choose M1, A,O,T, H, then M1 can be replaced by M2 or M3 but that does not change the combination because all the M’s are the same!

So yes it obviously applies to cases of 2 M’s and 1 M

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
This is because your kind of keeping the M’s ‘constant’ and choosing everything around it.

Suppose you do something like 3C1. That means out of the 3 M’s your choosing one of them. All the M’s are the exact same thing though so it does not matter which one you choose because the combination of letters will still be the same. So like if you choose M1, A,O,T, H, then M1 can be replaced by M2 or M3 but that does not change the combination because all the M’s are the same!

So yes it obviously applies to cases of 2 M’s and 1 M
Thank you for the clarification. That was very helpful. So would i do something like 3C1 for the arranging questions?

wowza9995atar

HSC
It is 480.

Case M....: 4C4 * 5!
Case MM...: (4C3 * 5!)/2!
Case MMM..: (4C2 * 5!)/3!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)