Comedy or Tragedy (1 Viewer)

Crowie

HSC
N/A
stop playing around with ur ip considering performance exams start in about 3 weeks

babywhitto

I'm doing a comedy cause im most comfortable in that...and also coz my drama teacher keeps saying i have a really good black humor/dry humor thing...so yeah.

chingly_choo

Bustin' this crib
HSC
Do you find it difficult to do serious stuff as a result? I know Ido, I don't feel right unless I am doing comedy.

Crowie

HSC
N/A
u should try doing serious stuff then
all i did through younger yrs was do comedy found it realli good but wasnt pushing myself anymore
so yr 11 tried sumfin serious it was aight it had potential
so this yr doing a serious monologue which im finding realli good u connect with the audience in a whole new way

chingly_choo

Bustin' this crib
HSC
Yeah, I try and do comedy that has a really serious undertone. I like to have the audience laughing along and then say something that they start to laugh at and then go, no hang on a second, that wasn't really funny at all. I can't do straight out here to make the audience cry and lament stuff.

babywhitto

I dont find serious drama hard...i just prefer comedy so this year i choose something that coudl get me the marks i want.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i did a serious monologue this year, the first i've ever done, and i got full marks for it :) but i still felt a bit out of my element, so i made sure i got some laughs out of the audience by playing up the drunken element of my character. for the hsc, i dunno what im doing, but no more serious stuff for me, no way.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
i did a serious monologue this year, the first i've ever done, and i got full marks for it :) but i still felt a bit out of my element, so i made sure i got some laughs out of the audience by playing up the drunken element of my character. for the hsc, i dunno what im doing, but no more serious stuff for me, no way.
this may have been relevant this time, but you dont have to stick to a genre. think of all the great actors. if they could only play one role, they wouldnt have been as sucessful. playing up the drunkenness to get laughs doesnt seem very mature, and whilst comedy can sometimes be dark and hard hitting, you have to make appropriate choices.

i'm doing comedy for my hsc where i would usually do something darker, because i have been through some hard times over the last year or so, and felt that comedy would be better for my state of mind than broodiness. and so far it has worked.

moral: dont be afraid to experiment. test yourself up till yr 12.

please enter address here or choose one from my lo
HSC
i chose to do a piece i show at onstage this year........it's a comedy and a really good one at that...i haven't scored lower than an 18 in all of my assessments(not that im bragging or anything) my opinion on whether or not to do a serious or comic piece is that if you've only ever done a comic stuff then i advise you not to do a serious piece cos most likely it will be shit cos that is not what you into and your only doing it to get better marks...........at the onstage peformance most of pieces that were there were humourous and they obviously got top marks..............go with what your comfortable with=)=)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
most assessments are marked out of 20, HSC performance is marked out of 30.

quit nit picking.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
chingly_choo said:
Hey I was wondering for people who are doing monologues, wether you will be doing a comedy or a serious one?

Opening it up for all discussion who prefers to do comedy or seriousnessness???

I am interested becaus emy drama teacher once told me that people take seriouness as being harder to do while believing that comedy is easy?

What do people think?

im doing a dramatic piece; The Tell Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe. i prefer serious pieces to comedies because i think its too easy to get a laugh, too easy to do something funny, especially for me... i wanted to challenge myself and do something serious, which i really had to work at, make sure i could really get the audience into my piece, when people doing the funny pieces just get the audience to laugh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)