• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Comic book as major work? (1 Viewer)

DoomBuggy

HSC
I'm in year 11 now, and considering what to do for my art major work next year. Is anyone doing a comic book this year? Or done one in the past? Was it super hard work? And how long did you make it? What style was the art? If I keep asking questions like this will you still answer them? What about this one?
Curse ye Chuc! Curse your a-m-a-z-i-n-g abilities

I'm doing a comic style BOW this year :)
Style of art? uhm... my own random looking style... i've always drawn cartoony style characters, this combined with my (obsessive) love for comics/mangas spawned my idea.

yeah 5+ frames, i might even make plushies or action figures :p

HSC
>.< i so wanted to do something like that, but i thought that tons of other people will be doing that too, so i decided to do some printmaking (which i did at the National Art School extensive studio practice) mixed in with watercolours and Copic Markers.. which begs the question: ANYONE ELSE USE THESE? D: Apparently, as my art teacher (she's a HSC art examiner too!) told me, copic markers are getting popular too.. D:

cerys

because i can.
HSC
^ I've had my copic markers for 3~4 years now and I still don't know how to use them properly (i.e use them to colour and make something awesome) ='(

After my last exam I'll probably start practicing.... They're [/i]really[/i] pricey as well booo.

I actually contemplated doing a comic, but I didn't because I'm a really lazy person. I think as long as you have some sort of experience in that are, good at drawing and etc, it would be a good idea. I also don't think that many people actually chose to do a comic, compared to the other mediums as well. If executed correctly, it can be effective!

HSC
ohhh--- lucky yoouu! D:
My school's Art Department brought me the 12 pack of the normal Copic Markers, but i begged my parents for moar. So they brought me the 36 pack of Copic SKETCH markers for me. I'll love to show you some, but my scanner is a evil thing/ *shakes fist*

I can't wait to see 2009's art express next year... *sigh*

AnyaElude

HSC
I have some Copic markers for my Cert. III. I had to do a whole unit on how to use them to build up colour. I can show you some of what I have done with them if this little upload thingy works XD

I'm by no means excellent at it. I've seen other work which is much better. But it's not hard to do. One of the biggest learning curves using them is getting used to the fast drying times. It's very hard to get and even block of colour.
See the attachments for inspiration!

HSC
woah! :0 I would love to show you... ;-; *shakes fist at scanner* rawwrrr. The key to having a solid block of colour is just keep going over it returning it. Colour, move forward, move backwards. That's how i do it. D: Feels like i'm wasting a huggee amount of ink though... D:

I worked that problem out though for my BOW, using water colours for the major, big areas, and then the details w/ copic markers. Or even using water colours everywhere, then applying copic markers when dry... Mmhhh.

I loveeeddd the clock one... D: It looks so realistic, like you've done them with a pencil! :D I lovee looking at tutorials on dA.

Visit my page for my comp work.. sadly, it's not as fantastic as Chuc's. D:

*sob*

katykiddx

HSC
A girl in year 12 this year at my school did manga inspired drawings in a comic style. It looked reallly good :)

Deathless

HSC
I'm working in the media of comic/manga, however the narrative is entirely paying homage to the Hong Kong action movie scene (ala. John Woo-style Gun Opera XD).

There's always one person in my school every year that has attempted something manga. Last cohort the artist was shortlisted, and the work had extremely professional lineart. I even learned a thing or 2 from him when dealing with inks.

^-- Example of my digital-painting

^-- My first completed work for my BOW. Not expected to be used though in the final.
FUCK man thats good

What'd you get for it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)