Coming 1st (1 Viewer)

Haris

HSC
I am coming first in English at my school and was wondering how some things works. I've heard that if you come first in your grade based on coursework (In school tests and assignments) that if you screw up in the final HSC test that the person who comes first mark's will be automatically become yours, is this true?

Axio

=o
HSC
Your HSC mark is the average of your assessment mark and your exam mark.

Your exam mark is how well YOU do in the exam.

Because you are ranked 1st, your assessment mark will be equal to the highest exam mark in your cohort.

Haris

HSC
Your HSC mark is the average of your assessment mark and your exam mark.

Your exam mark is how well YOU do in the exam.

Because you are ranked 1st, your assessment mark will be equal to the highest exam mark in your cohort.
So my mark for the test we're doing in about a week will be the highest mark within the cohort no matter how poorly I do

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
So my mark for the test we're doing in about a week will be the highest mark within the cohort no matter how poorly I do
No only your internal mark is decided by HSC, you still need to work for the other half

Haris

HSC
What do you mean? I'm trying to say that my exam mark will be the highest weather I get it or another student , ultiamly it will be given to be , thisa then coupled with my in school results is my HSC mark right?

redjnr

HSC
Examination marks = Externals = Marks you get in the HSC exam
Assessment marks = Internals = Marks allocated to you based on your performance and performance of the school. Since you are rank 1st, whatever the highest examination mark in the school (whether you got it or someone else), will become your assessment mark
HSC mark = Average of Exam + Assessment marks

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
What do you mean? I'm trying to say that my exam mark will be the highest weather I get it or another student , ultiamly it will be given to be , thisa then coupled with my in school results is my HSC mark right?
No. The school result in terms of actual mark (the one that the teachers submitted to the BOSTES) is essentially irrelevant for you. Its only relevance is that it makes you ranked first. So whether the mark your teacher submitted was 95 or 78 etc. doesn't matter, just that you were first.

Now, this means that you will get as your assessment mark (internal mark) the post-alignment highest examination mark (external) that is achieved in your cohort (whoever it was achieved by).

Your external mark will be whatever you personally achieved in your external HSC exam (after aligning); this part is true for everyone, not just the person ranked first. This means you still need to do well in the external HSC exam, because otherwise your external mark will be poor.

Last edited:

Haris

HSC
Examination marks = Externals = Marks you get in the HSC exam
Assessment marks = Internals = Marks allocated to you based on your performance and performance of the school. Since you are rank 1st, whatever the highest examination mark in the school (whether you got it or someone else), will become your assessment mark
HSC mark = Average of Exam + Assessment marks
Sort of still confused. What i got from your information is that lets say my examination mark is 80 and your assessment mark is 70. Cause you first your assessment mark becomes 80. Please explain. Super confused.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Sort of still confused. What i got from your information is that lets say my examination mark is 80 and your assessment mark is 70. Cause you first your assessment mark becomes 80. Please explain. Super confused.
What's relevant for your internal mark (as you're first internally) is not what YOU achieve externally necessarily, but rather what the highest external mark in the cohort is (which may not necessarily be achieved by you, since someone else could beat you externally).

So say the highest external mark in your cohort is X. Then since you are first, your internal becomes X. Now say you achieved a mark of Y personally for your external mark. Then your external mark stays as what you got (Y). So your overall HSC mark becomes: average of internal and external = (X + Y)/2.

With numbers, say the highest external mark in your cohort is 92. Then since you are first internally, your internal becomes 92. Now say you achieved a mark of 88 personally for your external mark. Then your external mark stays as what you got (88). So your overall HSC mark becomes: average of internal and external = (92 + 88)/2 = 90.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
If you happened to come first externally too, say getting 80, then your internal mark will become 80 (because this was the highest external mark in your cohort), and your external mark stays as what you got (80), so your final HSC mark is 80 (since the average of 80 and 80 is 80).

In general terms, if you're first internally and also come first externally, then what you get for your external (Examination mark) will be what you end up with as your final HSC mark.

Haris

HSC
What if I come first internally but not externally

crowley926

HSC
Assessment mark = school mark
Exam mark = mark in HSC exams
These two marks are used to calculate your ATAR.

So you're ranked 1. Pretend in the HSC exams you completely bomb and get 70. The person who comes 1st in the HSC exam in your cohort gets 95.

So then your assessment mark becomes 95 (because you are ranked first and whatever mark your school gave BOSTES literally does not matter -the rest of the marks are distributed to the rest of the students in your cohort proportionately by rank based on gaps or whatever idk)
However your exam mark still remains 70.

redjnr

HSC
And another simplified example to consider:
Imagine a course with only two people in the school
You're ranked first and I'm ranked second

Now let's say I get 90 in the exam, and you get 80 in the exam

Your internal mark will be 90, because that is the highest examination mark, and it becomes your internal mark as you're ranked first (highest external mark goes to whoever had the highest internal mark, i.e. rank 1)
However your external mark is 80 - that is what you got in the exam and it won't change

Conversely, my internal mark will be 80, because that was the second highest exam mark and I was rank second (second highest external mark goes to whoever had the second highest internal mark, i.e. rank 2)
However my external mark is 90 - that is what I got in the exam and it won't change

Our HSC marks will both be 85

Note: This is a simplification, gaps in marks are also considered

Haris

HSC
Thanks for clearing that up. Whats the put of having an original internal mark if it gets disregarded

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Thanks for clearing that up. Whats the put of having an original internal mark if it gets disregarded
It doesn't actually get disregarded. The distribution of internal marks (the ones submitted by the teacher) is used for the calculation of the cohort's internal marks based on the cohort's external performance.

But if you're first, this is actually irrelevant, since you just instantly get the highest external mark as your internal mark (unless you're equal first internally, in which case I think there's something more complicated, like you getting the average of the top n external scores or something, where (n – 1) is the number of people tied with you internally; but I think you're outright first internally, so don't worry about this). For those below first, it is relevant.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
In my examples, I assumed you came first internally. With my numerical example with the 88 and 92, I made no assumption that you were first externally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)