Comm and Comm/Arts question. (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Im think of doing comm/arts at USYD or UNSW next year but is the B. Arts worthwhile or should i just go for the B.Comm by itself?

Generator

HSC
N/A
What do you mean by worthwhile?

Edit: Worthwhile in terms of a BA for interest, a BA for broader career options, etc...

Last edited:

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
absolution* said:
Im think of doing comm/arts at USYD or UNSW next year but is the B. Arts worthwhile or should i just go for the B.Comm by itself?
Most, including myself will say that whilst Arts may be interesting it's not practical so if you're ok with being at uni for a little longer to do it then go for it. Comm by itself is fine but it's really competitive so if you're going to do it as a single degree try to find some cadetships or something similar as work experience along the side.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If you want an education, definately the Com/Arts,
but in terms of career - if you just want to move into the business/finance sector, its pretty much a waste of 2 years

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I was thinking of doing B.Comm for three years then B. Laws after that. Is that a feasible plan?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Also Minai, what is B. Comm like at UNSW? I was thinking of going to USYD because it'd be easier to get to...

hk31

HSC
honestly....the additional 2 years for a BA...is not really worthwhile...which is why i might be dropping BA next yr and keeping the BCom only...
What do you want to do in Arts though??

BUT...
if you still want to do the BCom/BA kind of thing...consider the BCom (Liberal Studies) at USYD....

I didn't know much about this degree when i was in y12...but if you wanted to do a double major in Commerce and an major in Arts like me....then BCom (Liberal Studies) cuts down a 5 yr double degree into a 4 year single degree where u can still get all the 3 majors!!!

A single BCom...and a postgrad Law degree is also a good option (that is, if you get in)....cos its 6 years in total....and you CAN graduate with a double major in Commerce and the Law major. Personally, i think this option is quite good...cos you get one extra major for one extra yr (compared to the 5year BCom/LLB norm).

I hope I made SOME sense and answered your questions.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
absolution* said:
I was thinking of doing B.Comm for three years then B. Laws after that. Is that a feasible plan?
Yes I'm contemplating the same thing...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
hk31 said:
A single BCom...and a postgrad Law degree is also a good option (that is, if you get in)....cos its 6 years in total....and you CAN graduate with a double major in Commerce and the Law major. Personally, i think this option is quite good...cos you get one extra major for one extra yr (compared to the 5year BCom/LLB norm).

I hope I made SOME sense and answered your questions.
Well, actually at unsw you don't do any majors in law..

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
hk31 said:
A single BCom...and a postgrad Law degree is also a good option (that is, if you get in)
Nice post, thanks.

So what obstacles there are to doing post-grad Law?

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
absolution* said:
Nice post, thanks.

So what obstacles there are to doing post-grad Law?
Probably like a D avg from your undergrad deg including evidence of a balanced lifestyle etc etc.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
B Laws (Full-Time) – Graduate Law

- Graduates are assessed on the basis of a combination of UAI (or equivalent) and tertiary results (I believe it is 75% uni grades, 25% UAI, but I am not absolutely sure).

- GPA rankings are applied to undergraduate degrees, honours, and masters by coursework (partial completion considered). Entry to this program is very competitive, and applicants with honours or a postgraduate degree will be viewed more favourably. Applicants with a completed Research Masters or PhD will automatically be offered a place.

- http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/Future_Students/undergraduate/admissions/A02.asp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)