Comm/Eco or Comm/Sci (1 Viewer)

kzsv

HSC
can anyone tell me which one is probably more worth while? i'm looking to do an accounting / finance major for the commerce part, leaving me with a major to choose from science ( prob comp science or psycho ) or econometrics. thanks guys!

iStrss

HSC
can anyone tell me which one is probably more worth while? i'm looking to do an accounting / finance major for the commerce part, leaving me with a major to choose from science ( prob comp science or psycho ) or econometrics. thanks guys!
I am in the exact same boat.....

I want to do science (toxicology) with BCom.....OR BCom/BEco

argh!

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Don't really know. But I would think that econometrics + accounting/finance major is a solid commerce focus which will look good on your job application when you're going for commerce jobs. But doing comp sci or psycho offers diversity though, so that you have the opportunity to look at other areas for a career/work, not just in the commerce side of things.

I want to do science (toxicology) with BCom
One of the options you could look at with a tox/comm degree is finding work in a pharmaceutical company, can potentially be a lucrative career there. You'd not only understand the multi-billion dollar side of the industry but also the R&D and medicine/science side too. It could look good on your CV if you're looking to go into that area. If you really want to get your hands dirty on the R&D side and help come up with new drugs and medicines, you'd have to complete honours at the very least, and then possibly a PhD after that. I'm not really sure but I'm sure if you've worked there a couple of years, they may offer options for further study part time while you work there, like a part time PhD maybe. I know someone who worked for CSL Pharmaceuticals, they let him complete a research masters at uni while he worked there part time, thereby allowing him career advancement opportunities within the company.

kzsv

HSC
would a major in computer science actually be able to land me a job that other comp science graduates are competing for?

dvse

HSC
N/A
would a major in computer science actually be able to land me a job that other comp science graduates are competing for?
Don't bother with econometrics and do Com/Sci - I would recommend a maths major (stats is more versatile than econometrics), but comp sci is pretty decent too.

Yes you will be able to go for all the same jobs as a regular BSc grad if you choose - you will have the same degree as them.

As a matter of fact, most of the work in accounting and finance involves dealing with software (spreadsheet etc) models and data sources (databases, queries, reports) so after a comp sci degree you will run circles around everyone else who is barely computer literate - very useful at the early stages of your career while you are still doing actual 'work'.

kzsv

HSC
thanks for replies guys, just had another look and comm sci is only 1 major from each degree, would i be able to stretch that?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Fuck off, do comm/sci!
Comm/eco is mine!
Thief!
Bragant!
Filth!

kzsv

HSC
nevermind ill do comm eco in that case

dvse

HSC
N/A
thanks for replies guys, just had another look and comm sci is only 1 major from each degree, would i be able to stretch that?
Don't think so. The only way is to enrol in one major than change it later to another once you've done all the courses you need and will take longer than 4 years. Also won't appear on your testamur.

This works well with actuarial where you get exemptions from professional exams by doing uni courses and the degree doesnt matter. Don't know about accounitng - i think you may need an approved accounting degree to start CA program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)