Comm/Law - Quant Methods (1 Viewer)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Hello,

I was doing my timetable and I accidently typed in ECON1203 (Quant Methods B). Since I'm a first year, would I have had to have done Quant Methods A first as a pre-requisite? Or can I interchange and do B first?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
Apparently QMA is no longer a core, only QMB is, so you don't have to have done QMA to done QMB i think. If you're allowed to enrol in QMB, that means QMA is no longer a prerequisite for it. And very well it shouldnt be, the two don't relate at all.

runnable

HSC
QMB is the core subject while QMA is just an elective. You chose the right course.

jaychouf4n

HSC
Is econ1202 a good elective? It sounds very interesting from the description, even though it isnt a comm/sci course. Well at least for me it sounds far more interesting than econ1203.

I'm doing comm/sci btw.

jaychouf4n

HSC
Mathematics

Though I'm planning on transferring to comm/law the next year, and I'm fairly confident I can make it given i missed the cutoff by 0.05

Planning on going into IB.

runnable

HSC
Is econ1202 a good elective? It sounds very interesting from the description, even though it isnt a comm/sci course. Well at least for me it sounds far more interesting than econ1203.

I'm doing comm/sci btw.
QMA is more interesting (for me at least). It is core course for a major in Economics. So if you're doing Eco major, you have to do it. If you want to do it purely as an elective, it's not that hard to do well but quite some people do poorly in it.

In 2010, they are changing the content of QMA and QMB because QMA is no longer core. They are moving some stuff like time value of money, matrices etc into QMB, so you may not be missing too much of QMA fun by doing QMB.

robb3d

HSC
Mathematics

Though I'm planning on transferring to comm/law the next year, and I'm fairly confident I can make it given i missed the cutoff by 0.05

Planning on going into IB.
If you're looking to transfer, then do subjects that are align with your strengths so your WAM is higher.

If you like maths, then QMA would be a good elective.

JayJayz22

HSC
Are QMA and QMB running in both semesters? (can't find this anywhere on the website...) So far I am enrolled in QMA, but if QMB is mandatory, then maybe I should do it first to get a taste of commerce-related mathematics?

runnable

HSC
Are QMA and QMB running in both semesters? (can't find this anywhere on the website...) So far I am enrolled in QMA, but if QMB is mandatory, then maybe I should do it first to get a taste of commerce-related mathematics?
You can check that from UNSW Handbook, if a course is offered in both semesters, check the Class Timetable.

QMA and QMB should be offered in both semesters, but with more QMA classes in Sem 1 and more QMB classes in Sem 2. With the new core system, QMB may be offered more overall. QMA/QMB are large large classes.

You should do QMB first just to get a core out of your way. For me, QMA and QMB weren't that similar though.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
From last I checked, you can now do QMA and QMB at the same time in Semester 1.

You'll at least need to do QMB anyway in order to do that new economic analysis course?

choke

HSC
hey,

im confused about picking subjects for commerce/law!

the online handbook suggests quantitative methods A however, is not even a core subejct for commerce and it sounds like a subject for an economics course.

does anyone have a clue? please help!

runnable

HSC
hey,

the online handbook suggests quantitative methods A however, is not even a core subejct for commerce and it sounds like a subject for an economics course.

That's weird. Are you sure you are looking at the 2010 Hanbook? Only QMB is core for you unless you are doing Economics major.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
hey,

Yeah that's what's confused me as well.
But like I remember at the Open Day - we were told Quantitative Methods A was no longer a compulsory subject, so I went stuff it and chose Quantitative Methods B.

Also btw, thanks for all above who gave help. It's most appreciated.

choke

HSC
Yeah that's what's confused me as well.
But like I remember at the Open Day - we were told Quantitative Methods A was no longer a compulsory subject, so I went stuff it and chose Quantitative Methods B.
umm... is that just for b commerce? or both b commerce and b commerce/b law?

choke

HSC

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
yeah. i'm super confused. if it's not a compulsory subject, then i'm gonna have to re-do my timetable D=

the other two compulsory subjects not mentioned on this site UNSW Handbook Plan - Law - LAWSA14733 is

damn... does anyone know?
I'd suggest doing ECON1203 anyway, because according to the handbook, we'll still have to do ECON1203 in the second semester anyway, so I assume if we had to do some other subject in the first semester, we can just make up for it in the second.

Also I got told ECON1202 isn't a pre-requisite of ECON1203 anymore so it should be ok.

runnable

HSC
That's interesting. The UNSW Handbook should be right but I don't remember the Commerce cores to be any different even if the person is doing combined degrees. The Handbook may be outdated. Email the ASB Student Center but I know they are flooded with emails atm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)