Comm/Sci (1 Viewer)

CheekyPunk

HSC
At the moment, i'm thinking of doing comm/sci.
At UNSW, apparently its better or whatever, and it seems to have more options for what to major in. However, i really want to go to USYD.

I don't actually have the UAI for it at usyd (its close enough), but it might come down, or i could transfer.

So if anyone knows, whats the pro's and con's of doing comm/sci at USYD compared to UNSW. I haven't managed yet to find someone doing comm/sci at USYD in real life, so i appeal to the online commiunity =P

A

adamsaclown

its a year shorter at unsw, but you can only do two majors (one for science, one for commerce). obviously in 4 years you complete less credit points than in 5, so your units are gonna be pretty tight at unsw, in that you won't have much space to do units from other fields, explore, etc.

that's pretty much why i'm at usyd.

i don't think one is better than the other... sure theres the commerce thing about unsw... but still it all depends on what fields you want to go into, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

CheekyPunk

HSC
Thanks for that, quite helpful.

If you dont mind also, do you think you could tell me a little about what your hours are like, and what you like/dislike about the course?
Also, what area you are thinking of going into after, and where else the course could lead.

That would be much appreciated if you could, thanks.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
what sort of com/sci combo are you thinking of doing? the most common are marketing/psych and finance/maths. if you ask me, a good combo nowadays would be marketing/stat because marketing requires you to use quite of lot of statistics. of course at usyd you can quadruple major so you can pick pretty much anything you'd like.

science subjects have double the contact hours of commerce subjects so it just depends on how many com or sci subjects you choose in a semester.

A

adamsaclown

yeah my hours are quite good cos my science subjects are IT and psych, neither of which have overly long hours... this semester i think it was around 15 hours per week for me (with 2 psych, 1 IT, and 1 commerce), may have been around 18-20 in first year.

i was thinking of doing something like Psych/IT/Economics or Psych/IT/Econometrics ... most of the main commerce majors don't appeal to me

psyc has been alright, but seems a bit behind the other science departments in terms of giving undergrads research opportunities, etc..no advanced units.... the IT faculty is really good, there are some lecturers very committed to teaching and getting undergrads involved in their research... Commerce seems a bit average, subjects are sometimes a bit disorganised,

Does anyone know whether USYD is introducing night classes? Thats another thing you might want to consider... UNSW is much more flexible with its timetabling than USyd

Last edited by a moderator:

CheekyPunk

HSC
Woah, thanks guys, thats really really helpful and much appreciated.

What im thinking of doing for the combo, is probably the usual, finance/maths, or whatever. But i guess i'd also like to take a look around at other things and see what i like and am good at... i'll get the opportunity to do that right?
Thanks for the thing about marketing/stats, i know someone doing marketing, so i'll follow him up about that.

I'll try and write up a list of the pro's and con's of each uni, and then weigh them up against each other.

Thanks heaps!

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
for finance/maths - if you think its worth staying an extra year for two extra majors you dont really need then go to usyd. i went to unsw because i missed out getting into advanced maths by 0.05. they are essentially the same programs.

CheekyPunk

HSC
blackfriday said:
for finance/maths - if you think its worth staying an extra year for two extra majors you dont really need then go to usyd. i went to unsw because i missed out getting into advanced maths by 0.05. they are essentially the same programs.
so you reckon if i'm just gonna do finance/maths, i should go to unsw?

I guess i dont really know for sure what i want to major in, so Usyd would give me more options i suppose.

As it seems, you guys reckon usyd and unsw are essentially the same, so i guess it just depends on how versatile i want my uni life and majors to be. This is assuming i even get into usyd anyway.
At the moment, i reckon i'll put usyd first, then unsw. If i dont make usyd, then it'll be at unsw (as long as it doesnt move up too far).

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
well if you're not really sure what you want to do i would recommend doing com (liberal studies) because its a degree for people in your position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)