Commerce at USyd or UNSW? (1 Viewer)

bento

HSC
Which uni do you recommend for a commerce or economics/social science- type degree. I've heard that UNSW is better...and I've looked at their courses, and they seem more specific and interesting, but others have told me Usyd is the either the same or better...

I need help because UNSW is a even further for me to travel, but if it's worth it, I might put it as a first preference.

Thankyou

is a roflcopter
HSC
the quality of the degrees is similar and employers like both

if you ran into me as your inteviewer, i will be choosing the unsw candidate ceteris parabis

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
brogan77 said:
IF U GO 2 USYD IT MEANZ YR DA BEST OF DA BEST OF DA BEST U WILLZ IMMEDIATELY BE OFFERED A joB IN INVESTMENT BANKING AT DA TOP TIER FIRM OF YR CHOiCE anD WILL NEverR HAF 2 WORRY ABOUT MONEY AgaIAN, TRUST ME...I KnoW.
I was going more along the lines of "What the fuck would I want to go to do commerce with 400 fucking asians for?"

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Azamakumar said:
I was going more along the lines of "What the fuck would I want to go to do commerce with 400 fucking asians for?"
because you really like dim sims

beentherdunthat

HSC
My first preference is Business/Law @ UTS. And then second Commerce/Engineering @ Usyd. But I prefer to stay away from usyd and unsw for combined law. zomg. that would be a killer.

phrred

HSC
unsw and usyd r the two most reputable law schools in NSW
why would you stay away from quality?

Conspirocy

HSC
Having gone to unsw i now realise that there is still bias towards usyd, and they will always have that benefit, at least over the next 10 20 years i think. so if you can make the most of that bias towards usyd then why not

phrred

HSC
Conspirocy said:
Having gone to unsw i now realise that there is still bias towards usyd, and they will always have that benefit, at least over the next 10 20 years i think. so if you can make the most of that bias towards usyd then why not
i dont think, for commerce anyway, that theres a bias towards sydney but that depends on what area of commerce id say.

unsw and uts would probably have more accounting students in big4 etc than sydney but having said that, uts and unsw probably have many more acct students in the first place

finance is supposedly pretty even spread between unsw and usyd. someone said in another thread that large banks werent recruiting at all from uts

interestingly, a finance honours students and tutor at usyd with sooo much sydney pride said that the unsw finance school is better and the work usyd finance honours doesnt compete with unsw honours and that sydney give out marks like anything

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
bento said:
Which uni do you recommend for a commerce or economics/social science- type degree. I've heard that UNSW is better...and I've looked at their courses, and they seem more specific and interesting, but others have told me Usyd is the either the same or better...

I need help because UNSW is a even further for me to travel, but if it's worth it, I might put it as a first preference.

Thankyou
Back to your original question . . . I live in the Inner West (about half an hour to forty-five minutes by bus to USyd). I did Commerce at UNSW and it took me an hour and ten minutes to get to uni. I was used to the travelling because I went to school near UNSW, so I guess I didn't miond it too much.

I can say this from having done my Commerce degree at UNSW, I was really impressed with the quality of the lecturers, the students, the facilties and the university environment. I picked UNSW because my brother studied his Commerce degree there and really enjoyed it.

There are lots of Asians at UNSW, however, I am studying in the US at the moment and a vast majority of the students in all my classes are also Asian. It isn't something to be concerned about, I find that Asians are typically attracted to courses that have a strong academic focus, and that's not neccesarily a bad thing at all.

In terms of UNSW vs. USyd for Commerce, I haven't done a Commerce degree at USyd, so I wouldn't be able to compare. I think the opportunities in terms of graduate employment with a Commerce degree at UNSW is second to none, and I found that students in my cohort got plenty of job offers.

bento

HSC
mr_shittles said:
Back to your original question . . . I live in the Inner West (about half an hour to forty-five minutes by bus to USyd). I did Commerce at UNSW and it took me an hour and ten minutes to get to uni. I was used to the travelling because I went to school near UNSW, so I guess I didn't miond it too much.

I can say this from having done my Commerce degree at UNSW, I was really impressed with the quality of the lecturers, the students, the facilties and the university environment. I picked UNSW because my brother studied his Commerce degree there and really enjoyed it.

There are lots of Asians at UNSW, however, I am studying in the US at the moment and a vast majority of the students in all my classes are also Asian. It isn't something to be concerned about, I find that Asians are typically attracted to courses that have a strong academic focus, and that's not neccesarily a bad thing at all.

In terms of UNSW vs. USyd for Commerce, I haven't done a Commerce degree at USyd, so I wouldn't be able to compare. I think the opportunities in terms of graduate employment with a Commerce degree at UNSW is second to none, and I found that students in my cohort got plenty of job offers.
Thankyou!
I don't know why people are even bring up the fact that asians do commerce..who cares?

HSC
N/A
Why is there a strong focus on the presence of an ethnicity of any type (i.e.; Asians, predominately) in the posts of these forums, is it a mere racist psyche that is prevalent on BoS or another issue?

Further, the quality of a degree in commerce really depends on the major that one studies and what they are looking to get out of their degree. For instance with accounting majors the degrees are essentially identical (as they have to be accredited by the professional bodies) the only real difference is the electives one undertakes.

Monstar

HSC
Like mentioned, why dont you ask someone in the field?

phrred

HSC
There is such a strong focus because some business schools are around 80-90% Asian making the caucasian feel outta place/uncomfortable

you can ask people in the field but theyll prob just say both are good, or theyll just say the one they went to

abs88

HSC
duh ppl talk about asians coz 80% of comm students at unsw are asian. If 80% of students were french, the same shit would be said, end of story.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Being 6'4 and from an under-represented ethnic background... short asian girls just don't cut it. That's not racism.

From a learning perspective my only problem is with international students who barely know english... especially those that are apparently good enough to be tutors.

Edu.kid

HSC
I would say in terms of business/finance/ commerce etc UTS is your best choice since their facilities are far greater and well financed. USYD is more for those doing medicine and UNSW is somewhat engineering etc.

USYD is on its way of losing its reputation as one of the top Uni's due to its increasing acceptance of foreign students who can't speak english therefore lowering the standards of their courses so as to allow these students to pass. Sydney only cares about money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)