• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Commerce, Business, Economics, or Finance?! (1 Viewer)

saraproblem

HSC
OK, so I'm in year 12 this year and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do at uni next year. I want to go to either UNSW or USyd, but I don't know which one at this stage...

I'm thinking of maybe doing either Commerce, Business, Economics or Finance (or maybe one of them combined with law) but I can't work out the major differences between each course. They all seem pretty similar to me!

So what are the differences? Any major pros and cons of each course?

Help is much appreciated. :)

Last edited:

jpr333

HSC
Do Commerce; in a nutshell it is the least specific degree in itself with the broadest range of specialties (which include every other topic you've listed). You cannot go wrong with Commerce (if that is the general field you're interested in).

End thread imo

Rorix

HSC
I didn't know Finance was offered as a seperate course. And I don't think UNSW/USYD offer undergrad business courses.

All of these courses should be able to set you up, so you should do the one with the highest UAI.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
I thought Bachelor of Commerce were the same thing as Bachelor of Business?

saraproblem

HSC
What's the difference between doing a Bachelor of Commerce majoring in Economics rather than a Bachelor of Economics? Is it less specific or something?

I can't decide whether I want to do Commerce or Economics...:mad1:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Commerce gives you more options whilst economics forces you to major in economics.

So basically aim for BCom and if you dont get in BEcon... Either way you can study economics and other commerce fields.

saraproblem

HSC
OK thanks. :)

So essentially, if I was planning on doing a major in Economics, it wouldn't matter which degree I do?

Now I just have to decide what I want my other major to be and go from there.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Some advice, ignore the name of the degree and look at what is studied as quite often they may be very similar

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Commerce/economics/finance...it's all the same anyhow. Just pick one randomly.

Rorix

HSC
BEcon and BCom generally have different core units. It can make a difference if you're doing a combined degree and still want to do a double major in your BEcon/BCom (I can only speak for USYD), but in my opinion you should do the one with the highest UAI...its a natural assumption to make when someone is doing BEcon that they couldn't get the UAI for a BCom

Of course if you actually can't get the UAI for BCom (without paying full fee) then yeah, do the BEcon, won't significantly impact on you (of course, check the uni core courses for the degree).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)