Commerce degrees at UNSW, Usyd (1 Viewer)

Humble Chad

HSC
Hello
I was just wondering whether it is better to study commerce at UNSW if you plan to major in finance/business law or better to enroll in the dalyell scholar program at USYD for commerce?
Is the USYD Dalyell scholar program worth it for commerce?
Cheers

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I’ve heard from usyd students Dalyell is overrated and a way to grab students...

As for commerce and what not it’s better at unsw but nothing too drastic that anyone will notice.

RishBonjour

HSC
They are both the same.

Given that most employers/HR do like seeing CVs that are beefed up, I would probably pick the Dalyell scholars (I don't know much about it, did commerce from usyd before it existed but hey it says 'scholar' so you must be good?). What do you mean by 'worth it'? Is it worth travelling 1 hour one way each way? Probably not.

One of the best finance courses run in Australia is by Usyd (e.g. look at the CFA challenge, dominated by Usyd).

sida1049

HSC
I echo the above; both unis are generally considered on-par for commerce.

With regards to Dalyell Scholars, as @Drdusk mentioned, the general consensus is that it's there to attract high achieving students. The program may be more useful for science or engineering as it provides research/project experience with academics, it doesn't seem to offer as much for commerce. (Apparently you can pick Dalyell projects from other faculties, but this might not interest you.) That said, Dalyell Scholars is pretty low-commitment, since you only need to take two Dalyell units, which you can do during the summer/winter break. If you choose to do this, definitely do this during the first year uni breaks, since you should be searching for internship/research opportunities during later years (i guess that solves the problem of the boring first year summer break lol). So as @RishBonjour mentioned, if you think that having the fancy name will significantly distinguish you from thousands of other commerce graduates, then go for it.

But largely, don't let the Dalyell Scholar program sway your choice. Maybe check out the specific degree structures for both unis and what they offer in terms of courses and opportunities.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I googled it and it sounds like it's really just another generic program to improve your employability and it's open to those who get an ATAR >98 (or less if you meet certain requirements). Whilst it sounds alright, honestly you'd probably get better chances by actually doing something meaningful outside of academics and either developing skills or learning more about how you interact with others, etc... these will have a much more significant impact on your CV and interview.

EDIT: Just realised my own company is an industry partner/sponsor lol...

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
While its great to see scholar on a CV, it is only interesting for your first employer.

Just like an ATAR, after you get into a business, it doesn't matter much after that.

I would prefer to hire someone who can solve a problem proactively and can interact well with the team and my stakeholders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)