• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Commerce/Law double degree only one Major? (1 Viewer)

shadowbane91

HSC
Hi guys, sorry I'm new to this forum as well as just graduated. I'm very keen to do Commerce/Law at Monash next year, however I was wondering if I am allowed to take two Majors like the single degree commerce course, or only one? Thanks in advance, much appreciated and I am very sorry if someone has asked this before and I have just failed to see the thread.

lawstudent

HSC
generally you can work something out with the faculties if you really want to do 2 majors instead of one. i've got a friend whos doing 2 majors in 6 years (normally its a 5 year degree) and another friend whos also doing 2 majors, but taking alot of the courses during the summer break etc so he can finish in 5 years. I don't know if this applies to monash but i don't see why not.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
It really depends, usually you can't because you do 2 degrees in 5 years, therefore some of your Law subjects are also counted as your other degree elective, its hard to then get enough electives to make another major, that said it would probably work if you took longer and did extra subjects

UWS used to allow you do to B Bus (Econ/Fin)/ Law but u got NO Bus electives and they got rid of it.

lawstudent

HSC
It really depends, usually you can't because you do 2 degrees in 5 years, therefore some of your Law subjects are also counted as your other degree elective, its hard to then get enough electives to make another major, that said it would probably work if you took longer and did extra subjects

UWS used to allow you do to B Bus (Econ/Fin)/ Law but u got NO Bus electives and they got rid of it.
you can if you do it extra subjects over the summer, atleast in unsw.

lawstudent

HSC
Yeah all I mean is you wont be able to do it with a normal load, you'd need to overload OR take a summer subject or take more time
oh yes i see, yes that is right. but i mean if you were really that into commerce, why do law at all lol do the 2 majors and own it, get out earlier, make more money =)

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
You can't do two majors at Monash if you're doing a double-degree in Commerce. I set out my course to major in 'Finance' and 'Accounting and Finance' and the course adviser told me that you can't do it like that... so - one major for your commerce degree.

But you can do all of the first year units before you decide. Compulsory units are spread reasonably well across the more common majors like accounting, finance, economics, statistics, marketing, management.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)