Commerce (Liberal Studies) at UNSW (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
UNSW Handbook on Commerce (Liberal Studies): UNSW Handbook Program - Commerce (Liberal Studies) - 3539

Hey, I just checked out this particular course at UNSW through UNSW Handbook and I got some information on that but I would like some stuff clarified if possible.

I looked at the course structure and you can do double majors at commerce through this course. So I thought I would just do Actuarial Studies + Finance through that. And then I also looked little bit at Liberal Studies courses and apparently you can choose 1 major from each discipline! (Language, Humanities and Science).

I am just wondering if this is really true...like
I can choose perhaps Asian Studies/European Studies/International Relations (Humanities), Japanese Studies/Korean Studies (Language) and Mathematics/Statistics (Science)

shinn

HSC
Yeah this degree is pretty flexible as in you can choose an additional major excluding the two majors in commerce. But, for the third major, you are limited to 6~9 courses (54uoc) so you may miss some electives. Also, there are compulsory courses for the "liberal studies" component (e.g.MGMT2200) which may not seem that appealing. http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2010/MGMT2200.html

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Yeah this degree is pretty flexible as in you can choose an additional major excluding the two majors in commerce. But, for the third major, you are limited to 6~9 courses (54uoc) so you may miss some electives. Also, there are compulsory courses for the "liberal studies" component (e.g.MGMT2200) which may not seem that appealing.
Thanks

so are you saying that you basically explore little bit of everything rather than focus on one thing? (for liberal studies major of course)

Valupatitta

HSC
is commerce (liberal studies) kinda just like commerce (international) but instead theres no visiting other countries?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
UNSW Handbook on Commerce (Liberal Studies): UNSW Handbook Program - Commerce (Liberal Studies) - 3539

Hey, I just checked out this particular course at UNSW through UNSW Handbook and I got some information on that but I would like some stuff clarified if possible.

I looked at the course structure and you can do double majors at commerce through this course. So I thought I would just do Actuarial Studies + Finance through that. And then I also looked little bit at Liberal Studies courses and apparently you can choose 1 major from each discipline! (Language, Humanities and Science).

I am just wondering if this is really true...like
I can choose perhaps Asian Studies/European Studies/International Relations (Humanities), Japanese Studies/Korean Studies (Language) and Mathematics/Statistics (Science)
36 UOC is hardly enough for a major in any of those areas. In maths that would only get you through the prescribed 2nd year courses - not enough of a foundation to do anything useful.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
36 UOC is hardly enough for a major in any of those areas. In maths that would only get you through the prescribed 2nd year courses - not enough of a foundation to do anything useful.
Oh...so you basically "touch" on the subject...right?
=(

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Yeah. If you wanted to do anything involving maths in professional capacity (other than teaching high school), it just isn't enough.

The language options may be OK with only 36 UOC if you already had some background in the language and weren't starting as a raw beginner.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Yeah. If you wanted to do anything involving maths in professional capacity (other than teaching high school), it just isn't enough.

The language options may be OK with only 36 UOC if you already had some background in the language and weren't starting as a raw beginner.
Damn...even the language won't be enough then. Thanks for your information, greatly appreciated =)

Valupatitta

HSC
yay thts me! =]]this looks like the course im gonna take if i dont make it for international studies hahaha

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
yay thts me! =]]this looks like the course im gonna take if i dont make it for international studies hahaha
Really? Which language are you taking up then? Are you quite well-established in that discipline?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Damn...even the language won't be enough then. Thanks for your information, greatly appreciated =)
Well, you don't have to do everything in your undergraduate degree. I think rather than having three rather small majors that have little synergy between them it would be better to pick only one or two things to major in and get a more substantial amount of work in those areas in your degree.

If you want to do languages as well, the Uni does offer some sort of diploma of languages that you can do either concurrently or just after another bachelors degree.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Well, you don't have to do everything in your undergraduate degree. I think rather than having three rather small majors that have little synergy between them it would be better to pick only one or two things to major in and get a more substantial amount of work in those areas in your degree.

If you want to do languages as well, the Uni does offer some sort of diploma of languages that you can do either concurrently or just after another bachelors degree.
OMG, that sounds really good :D

That's it then, I will go for that.

But in regards to Commerce/Science, I heard that you can do double majors of Stats and Maths for your Scicnece degree under changed Science course. Is that true? (I cannot seem to really confirm that from reading UNSW Handbook).

Valupatitta

HSC
Really? Which language are you taking up then? Are you quite well-established in that discipline?
yup chinese. :) let see.... i reckon i'd be @ an intermediate level in chinese coz i can talk read write and listen for both cantonese and mandarin / simplified and traditional chinese :)

shinn

HSC
But in regards to Commerce/Science, I heard that you can do double majors of Stats and Maths for your Scicnece degree under changed Science course. Is that true? (I cannot seem to really confirm that from reading UNSW Handbook).
From School of Mathematics and Statistics - With Actuarial Studies:

The options in this program include Finance, Mathematics and Statistics Courses considered relevant to Actuarial Studies, however other courses can be chosen. The options chosen must satisfy the requirements for the award of the double degree.

For a double major in Mathematics and Statistics do the Statistic major plus any 18 uc of Level 3 Mathematics.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Arghh, I suck at understanding amount of credits points and etc. -_-

But I kinda grasp what you are referring to with that Handbook.

So can you just briefly answer this question?

Can I do Commerce (Actuarial, Finance) + Science (Statistics) or Commerce (Actuarial, Finance) + Science (Maths)?

And which of the above options would be more useful for careers related to actuarial studies?

Thanks mate!

Last edited:

shinn

HSC
Can I do Commerce (Actuarial, Finance) + Science (Statistics) or Commerce (Actuarial, Finance) + Science (Maths)?

And which of the above options would be more useful for careers related to actuarial studies?
Yeah, i guess you can do one of those combination under commerce (lib) with fewer elective units for the science component.

Which one is more useful? I've only finished my first year so I can't really comment on that. But I would suggest choosing the one you have interest in.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Yeah, i guess you can do one of those combination under commerce (lib) with fewer elective units for the science component.

Which one is more useful? I've only finished my first year so I can't really comment on that. But I would suggest choosing the one you have interest in.
Um no I meant, can you do those combinations under commerce + science degree?

shinn

HSC
Ok after researching for a bit, i don't think its possible to do 2 commerce major and 1 science major under commerce/science. The requirement of 90UOC for comm and 84 UOC for science are not met. But those are the minimum requirements, so i'm not sure if one is allowed to stay longer at uni to meet both those criteria while doing another major in commerce.

SOURCE:
UNSW Handbook Program - Commerce/Science - 3529

Studies leading to the award of the Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Science degree normally consists of 192 units of credit (UOC) or 32 courses to be completed over four academic years (15 Australian School of Business courses (90 UOC) and 14 Science courses (84 UOC).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)