Commerce/science (adv maths) vs Commerce(international) (1 Viewer)

Lumix

HSC
Hi guys. At the moment I'm planning to do B Commerce/ Science (Advanced Mathematics) because I want to major in Actuarial Studies or maybe finance. But at the same time I find Commerce (international) very enticing because it allows you to study overseas for a year. I really like the idea of learning Japanese/Chinese and working in countries/cities like Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore. If I do commerce (international) I won't be able to advance mathematics which I really want to do.

So the question is, which degree would be more beneficial Commerce / advance maths or commerce (international)? Or do they allow double degrees for commerce (international)?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Actuarial Studies and Finance are Commerce majors, not Maths majors.

Lumix

HSC
Yeh I know actuarial and finance are commerce majors but I'm having trouble deciding whether I should do a combined degree with maths or go for the commerce international where I wont be able to do maths.

sorry for bad phrasing

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well then pick Adv Maths/Commerce.

If you like Commerce Int'l because you can go abroad... I'm sure there are opportunities for such things if you ask the university. And if not, then... I suppose you'll just have to choose. Maths or a year foreign study.

Lumix

HSC
Well then pick Adv Maths/Commerce.

If you like Commerce Int'l because you can go abroad... I'm sure there are opportunities for such things if you ask the university. And if not, then... I suppose you'll just have to choose. Maths or a year foreign study.
Are you majoring actuarial for commerce? If you are, do you think that doing advance maths helps?

Lumix

HSC
Can someone confirm whether or not I can do a combined degree with commerce (international)???

Thanks!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Go read the Handbook entries or go to Info Day on Wednesday and ask questions.

shabazz

HSC
N/A
All degrees have the option of a semester or two of exchange, not just Commerce. The Commerce (International) program is a normal Commerce degree with an international studies component, not a degree that "allows" you to go overseas for a year.

Provided you have decent marks, you should have no problem getting a year of exchange in the Commerce/Science program. However, with that said, if you just want to do Actuarial Studies, don't assume it's necessary to do a maths degree to supplement. You'll be completely fine just doing normal Commerce with an Actuarial Studies major.

Don't stress about this choice. If what you enrol into for first year doesn't turn out to be what you want, you can easily transfer, with the benefit of the knowledge you'll have gained in first year of the options that you have. You have a paralysing amount of choice currently, but you also have ample opportunity to change any decisions you make at university.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)