common error. (1 Viewer)

braintic

HSC
N/A
A number of people are quoting rules that don't exist.
For example "always DO brackets first". That rule is to always EVALUATE the contents of brackets first. It seems 'DO' has been substituted here to justify why the neighbouring multiplication should be evaluated before the division. One of many cases where imprecise language causes confusion.
The fact is that using a dot to represent multiplication, or using no operator at all, takes a higher precedence than the multiplication symbol. I don't think that there is a rule here, and I don't believe anyone has made such an edict. But that is the way years of convention seems to have settled the matter.
If the × was shown then you would have evaluated from left to right. It has nothing to do with 'doing' brackets first (whatever that was designed to mean), or 'starting with brackets and going outwards'.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Both solutions are equally correct. This occurs due to the inefficient use of notation.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
A number of people are quoting rules that don't exist.
For example "always DO brackets first". That rule is to always EVALUATE the contents of brackets first. It seems 'DO' has been substituted here to justify why the neighbouring multiplication should be evaluated before the division. One of many cases where imprecise language causes confusion.
The fact is that using a dot to represent multiplication, or using no operator at all, takes a higher precedence than the multiplication symbol. I don't think that there is a rule here, and I don't believe anyone has made such an edict. But that is the way years of convention seems to have settled the matter.
If the × was shown then you would have evaluated from left to right. It has nothing to do with 'doing' brackets first (whatever that was designed to mean), or 'starting with brackets and going outwards'.
Yep pretty much this, multiplication by juxtaposition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)