Common Misconceptions about Related Texts in this Module (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
A lot of students and even some teachers make the same mistakes and wrong assumptions about related texts under this module every year. In reference to notes from the marking centre for this module, here are some things to clear up.

Related Texts need to be linked by theme - FALSE

It is strongly advised that related texts should NOT be related to your prescribed text via themes and/or contexts.

For example, if your prescribed text is Strictly Ballroom, your related texts should NOT be about dancing or if your prescribed text is the Henry Lawson stories, your related texts should NOT be about the Australian bush life.
The problem with choosing related texts which have common themes to the prescribed text is the fact that they are likely to be a mirror image of your prescribed text and when you write about them, you'll be virtually repeating yourself rather than exploring another perspective.

The purpose of having related texts is to explore OTHER aspects of the elective rather than those in the prescribed text. Therefore they should link via the elective heading you are studying under. Your related texts must allow diversity of exploration under the elective you are studying to demonstrate that you understand extensively a lot of different ideas about this elective rather than a limited few.

I am also aware that some teachers may actually make you do related texts which have common themes to the prescribed texts with some even including "links prescribed and related texts by theme" in their own marking criteria (I know mine did). Tell them that they are hindering your chances to access higher range marks and go for a different related text. If they argue against you, present to them parts of the markers' comments quoted below. They cannot deny the validity and authenticity of the "official" Board of Studies markers' comments (especially being repeated so many times in the 2004 comments). If they are still resilient, then they are either deluded or do not know the full expectations of the course...

Quoted from the Notes From The Marking Centre for HSC 2005 (http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2005exams/pdf_doc/english_std_adv_er_05.pdf)
"In better responses, candidates used related material that allowed them to demonstrate their knowledge of different techniques and their effects, rather than material linked by theme, setting or era to their prescribed text."

Quoted from the Notes From The Marking Centre for HSC 2004 (http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2004exams/pdf_doc/english_std_adv_er_04.pdf)
"Related material was generally used well but it should again be made clear that choice and shaping to the question is important and candidates should be aware that the related material does not have to be thematically linked or be a mirror to the prescribed text but can illustrate other aspects of the elective."

"Some responses also tended to treat related material or the prescribed text somewhat sketchily. Related material was often selected because it had a similar setting or style to the prescribed text. Better responses presented a balanced discussion of both the prescribed and related text. These responses can often integrate their texts. Superficial treatment of either the prescribed or related text often places candidates in the lower range. Thematic or period links are not necessary."

"In some poorer responses themes and issues of the plays and poems were explored at the expense of showing the way dialogue worked to portray the appropriate aspects required."

"The related material does NOT need to mirror the ideas and techniques of the prescribed text, but can illustrate other aspects of image. Related texts, moreover, do not need to be related thematically to the prescribed text. Treatment of prescribed texts needs to develop rather than restate the preceding discussion of image."

Quoted from the Notes From The Marking Centre for HSC 2003 (http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2003exams/pdf_doc/english_std_adv_er_03.pdf)
"Candidates should focus on non-verbal communication which co-incides with dialogue and avoid those texts requiring too much explanation or which are linked mainly by theme or subject matter to the prescribed texts."

Quoted from the Notes From The Marking Centre for HSC 2002 (http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2002exams/pdf_doc/english_sa_er_02.pdf)
"Weaker responses demonstrated limited understanding of the concept of image. Some focused on describing character as image and frequently linked materials by theme rather than image."

Quoted from the Notes From The Marking Centre for HSC 2001(http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2001exams/pdf_doc/english_stdadv_er01.pdf)
"Weaker candidates had a very narrow or limited understanding of the concept of image. Some focused on describing character as image and frequently linked materials by theme rather than image."

And probably a myth to a much lesser extent...

Related Texts studied in class are best - FALSE

Try to avoid using the related texts explored by your teacher and classmates(i.e. find your own)

Too often, students are too lazy to find their own related texts and use those studied at school. If you were a marker, you would not be wanting to read a whole pile of responses from a school with the same related texts and repetition of the same ideas of the related texts in almost every response. More than often they do not address the question properly.
If you are going to use a related text studied at school, try to study some alternative aspects and ideas of the text in addition to those studied at school. That way, you have more knowledge of the text than most of your classmates who do the same related text and you have a greater selection of ideas which can suit the question.

Quoted from the Notes From The Marking Centre for HSC 2006 (http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2006exams/pdf_doc/engl_std_adv_notes_06.pdf)
"In cases where all responses in a school’s candidature use the same related texts and make the same comments about them, it is generally unlikely that responses will address the question in a fresh and convincing way."

Quoted from the Notes From The Marking Centre for HSC 2005 (http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2005exams/pdf_doc/english_std_adv_er_05.pdf)
"It is unproductive when all candidates in a school's candidature use the same related texts and the same comments about them. Such repeated formulaic recitation is disadvantageous to the candidate."

It is important that you (and your teachers) read the markers' comments for every relevent past HSC exam to know what previous candidates did wrong and will less likely to make those same mistakes. They also help in clarifying what the markers are actually looking for in a high range response.

Hope that cleared at least some confusion or misconceptions....;)

Last edited:

latifa

HSC
hi,

i undertand what you mean...... but i chose dirty dancing as a related text to strictly ballroom the themes are not exactly the same it's mainly the dancing that is similar... should i change my related text? and if so what should i do as my related text?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I have reason to believe that 'Dirty Dancing' is a film, as is 'Strictly Ballroom'. So I suggest you go for another related text mainly because they are the same text type, so you'll only be able to show how much you know about film techniques only if you wrote about it.

The related text I used with 'Strictly Ballroom' was the music video "Stupid Girls" by Pink. The music video has exaggerated stereotypical images a bit like 'Strictly Ballroom'.

coolcapsicum

HSC
hi.. i'm planning on doing the ugly duckling or cinderella as my related text (s)?.. Any other suggestions?

kwinnall

HSC
The text that we studied in class for "image" is "When the Wind Blows" by Raymond Briggs.
I'm having trouble choosing a related text as I don't know what to look 4 in a related text.
Should I look 4 a text that uses image2 depict the same message as in "when the wind blows" ii.e. Naivity & social unawareness,
or should I look 4 a text that just uses image 2 get a different message across....

robertf123

HSC
latifa, the whole idea is not too chose related texts based on there theme but rather choose texts which relate to your actual are of study e.g. journeys or image

Lindethiel

HSC
Whoa! There has not been ONE time ever that any of my teachers (at least) have gone over past markers notes!

(Then again, my English teacher has marked before.)

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
umm...u can use the same text type.....BUT...not its own, if its in addition with another text then yea....so for e.g.

Film and Film = no

BUT

Film and Film and Poetry = yes

and personally...from what ive learned threw my tutors and markers e.t.c is that....having one text type similar...but obviouslly different themes is benefical for you mark (assuming u hav the extra R.T)

this is evident primairly as u can compare techniques on their own...but in the secound on u can "synthincise" and use different techniques but bring them together

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)