Communications:Roll Call!/Getting to know you! (1 Viewer)

Clutch.

HSC
glycerine said:
haha what time was your tute? mine was 1130
I was in the arvo at 2.00pm- I bet you sucked any fun that was once inside her out!

snickerdoodle said:
Heh, are we in the same tute? I was at 2:00.

kami, in P&C my tute did a name game (lol, I know, fascinating), then went over the syllabus etcetc. The only important thing we did was allocate weeks for the 2nd assignment. I stupidly picked week 13 without noticing that the final essay is due on the same day. Bah.
Nah I was in the morning at 10.00am- I did the exact same thing in allocation choice by the way... Or at least I think so- I chose 'Deconstructing and Constructing Youth' and I'm pretty sure thats the week it's due.

Anyone else trying to get themselves allocated to similar topics across all the subjects?

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
Clutch. said:
IAnyone else trying to get themselves allocated to similar topics across all the subjects?
Yep, I'm doing 'Deconstructing and Constructing Youth'. And I although I didn't realise this until I left todays tute, I think I'm subconsciously doing the above - I ended up choosing 'Orientalism' for CC1, so the whole ethnic gang Cronulla riots etc etc crap is going to be high on the agenda.

Contemporary Cultures scares me.

Edit: I just did the Library Skills thing for P&C, and got 16/18 (in my defense, I didn't read one of the questions right). Thats cool right? No library session for me? Because on the sheet it says 17/20...but there were only 18 questions.

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
This whole degree is starting to scare me - the workload looks like its going to be roughly like 4 major works a semester *cries* I'm so going to have RSI when its all said and done...

Oh, and Maria were you in Raya Masse's tutorial in the Bon Marche building this afternoon? Because we had a Maria (not that its the rarest name ever, but yeah).

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
kami said:
Oh, and Maria were you in Raya Masse's tutorial in the Bon Marche building this afternoon? Because we had a Maria (not that its the rarest name ever, but yeah).
Yeah I'm common :(. I was in her 12:00pm tute.

Clutch.

HSC
snickerdoodle said:
Yep, I'm doing 'Deconstructing and Constructing Youth'. And I although I didn't realise this until I left todays tute, I think I'm subconsciously doing the above - I ended up choosing 'Orientalism' for CC1, so the whole ethnic gang Cronulla riots etc etc crap is going to be high on the agenda.

Contemporary Cultures scares me.

Edit: I just did the Library Skills thing for P&C, and got 16/18 (in my defense, I didn't read one of the questions right). Thats cool right? No library session for me? Because on the sheet it says 17/20...but there were only 18 questions.
Yeah I did the Subcultures one for CC1 to try and tie it in.

BTW, my CC1 tutor seems to hate us already which is really great.

Aaaah, haven't touched that library quiz yet- is it easy? I think I'll try and find someone else who hasnt done it on Friday and do it then.

I'm finding the degree on the whole OK a really friendly bunch but there does seem to be a fair bit of work; I'm already struggling to keep up with the readings- the day off tomorrow will come in handy there though.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
Clutch. said:
Yeah I did the Subcultures one for CC1 to try and tie it in.

BTW, my CC1 tutor seems to hate us already which is really great.

Aaaah, haven't touched that library quiz yet- is it easy? I think I'll try and find someone else who hasnt done it on Friday and do it then.
Which tutor do you have? Raya Masee seemed kind of...angry. Miss a lecture - out. Touch phone - out. Can't answer question - out. I guess she was just laying down the law but it was quite frightening.

It's easy, but it's easy to muddle questions (they're pretty similar overall).

I'm really nervous about Journalism 1. I know it will be fun but I have to get used to the fact that I have to make friends with the girls (and occasional boy lol) yet they will be my competition eventually.

Got lots of reading to do. What a fun day off.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I'm stupid, so I did the library quiz without actually reading the stuff, so I ended up getting 16/18, so hopefully I don't have to go to that library thingo.

So far Power and Change is my favourite class, my tutor Phillipa I think, actually seems to know what she is talking about, although shes very to the point.

I don't really like CC. Our tutor seems obsessed with trying to be 'cool', but just seems like a reactionary lefty, who seems to make everything 'postmodern'. It seems postmodernism become interchangable with mediocrity.

For Power and Change i'm faciliating the globalisation one and for CC i'm doing the orientalism one. I love both topics.

Clutch.

HSC
snickerdoodle said:
Which tutor do you have? Raya Masee seemed kind of...angry. Miss a lecture - out. Touch phone - out. Can't answer question - out. I guess she was just laying down the law but it was quite frightening.
I can't say I actually 'KNOW' my tutors name because....you know.... I'm disorganised.

But it sounds like it might be the same woman- the bikie one?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
snickerdoodle said:
Raya needs valium. 'nuff said. Or maybe pot, otherwise I have no idea how I am going to get guidance from such a draconian woman.

I think she is kinda peeved though because of some political(not liberal and labor political, the other one) thingo between her and the lecturer as she made certain to drop in the fact that in past years she had been the lecturer for this subject in past years. *shrug*

For Cont. Cult I am doing the writing cultures presentation, which seems kinda cool. No idea what I'll be doing for Power & Change yet though - or even if I'll still be doing that subject *shakes fist at UTS red tape*

I also just had a peek at the Writing reader thing, and damn that subject looks cool! Can't wait till friday now.:D

EDIT: And Paul, if she was disagreeable then odds are it was Raya. She garbles on a bit about her focus area in body modification and refers to hiphop as an example alot, she's probably the only staff member I've met at UTS who will tell you to shut up rather than ask for quiet - so if any of that rings a bell, than Raya is your tutor.

Last edited:

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I have this woman named Sascha, she seems pretty laid back.

I'm doing the popular culture and reality tv thing and I read my article and what like WHAT THE FUCK! I don't get it!
So if anyone reads the one about Art and the Public Sphere and has some brilliant insights, plsss share. :)

Clutch.

HSC
kami said:
EDIT: And Paul, if she was disagreeable then odds are it was Raya. She garbles on a bit about her focus area in body modification and refers to hiphop as an example alot, she's probably the only staff member I've met at UTS who will tell you to shut up rather than ask for quiet - so if any of that rings a bell, than Raya is your tutor.
Yeeeeeep.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
Clutch. said:
I can't say I actually 'KNOW' my tutors name because....you know.... I'm disorganised.

But it sounds like it might be the same woman- the bikie one?
Hey, you were in my tute :D. I'm Maria, the one in the green Lonsdale T-shirt.

I have too much reading to do and no time to do it in. Grr.

Clutch.

HSC
snickerdoodle said:
Hey, you were in my tute :D. I'm Maria, the one in the green Lonsdale T-shirt.

I have too much reading to do and no time to do it in. Grr.
Oh ok cool!

Yeah since school, I seem to have forgotten how to read and write, yet my procrastination skills are back to their September peak.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
join the club :\

i've done most of the reading for cie, some for cc and a little for my pca facilitation thing. my head's going to explode; i've been reading pure trash for 4 months

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Why did I get stuck in the journalism class with barely any actual first years, but rather a mix of ppl do it as an elective and other ppl who can't speak english?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Don't stress about the workload... I remember being freaked by it, but you will pretty soon be able to figure out exactly what work you need to do, and what work you can just let slide by. The workload isn't too bad most of the time, just stressy during certain times of semester. Everything will slowly become clear...

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Sweets said:
Why did I get stuck in the journalism class with barely any actual first years, but rather a mix of ppl do it as an elective and other ppl who can't speak english?
why exactly is this a problem?

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
glycerine said:
why exactly is this a problem?
Ok i realise that made me sound like a total bitch. It's not really a 'problem' persay, everyone is friendly and nice as UTS people are, I suppose I would have just liked some more people in the same boat as me :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)