Comp 1911 (1 Viewer)

random-1005

Banned
HSC
hey, how many people actually pass the complusory first year computing courses in engineering, i swear to god it must be like the hardest course to pass ever (must be like 80% fail rate) and theres some bullshit condition where you MUST pass the final exam to pass the course, just had the final exam yesterday and barely anyone got 2 out of the 4 questions out, and then the fukin automarker gave an error message for the one that did get right because the letters were half a space out. (not sure how thats possible) bloody cse pisses me off so much.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i highly doubt it has an 80% fail rate (i know i can think of a 2nd year mech eng subject that actually has a 50-70% fail rate).

i managed to pass it in first year (and i have zero background knowledge on C, or any form of programming) and yeah we also had to pass the final exam to pass the course.
I think it's sorta scaled though.

comp1911 is compulsory for first year mechatroic engineering (what im doing), but if it's not compulsory then definitely opt for engg1811 (i think it only involves excel and vba).
comp1911 would be better suited for people who have some understanding of programming.
if u have much more of an understanding then you'd be able to get a D or HD, or you can do comp1917 instead.

henry08

HSC
N/A
Whats the second year subject with that fail rate?

LordPc

HSC
lol, no way its got a fail rate that high

i wouldnt worry too much though. cse is pretty good at the whole pass/fail thing. someone will look at the code you submitted in the prac exam and judge it for themselves. if its clear you know how to program (and just made a small mistake which is why you failed tests) then you'll still pass.

if it looks like you know how to program but they are unsure, they'll look at your lab submissions over the semester (thats what all that 'give lab11 count.c' is for)

so you should only be worried if you dont know how to program

untouchablecuz

HSC
lol, no way its got a fail rate that high

i wouldnt worry too much though. cse is pretty good at the whole pass/fail thing. someone will look at the code you submitted in the prac exam and judge it for themselves. if its clear you know how to program (and just made a small mistake which is why you failed tests) then you'll still pass.

if it looks like you know how to program but they are unsure, they'll look at your lab submissions over the semester (thats what all that 'give lab11 count.c' is for)

so you should only be worried if you dont know how to program
is the course scaled?

e.g. if ive calculated myself to have gotten 86 overall (using the harmonic mean equation in the course outline), is that the final mark

LordPc

HSC
COMP1911 Course Outline 2010s1

Exam marks and final marks may be scaled to ensure that the subject Pass/Fail boundary and the Distinction/High Distinction boundary reflect a consistent standard from session to session.
(i dont know why more people dont read the course into, good info in there)

so since your right on the edge they might move you up or down, although i dunno how you know your exam mark already...

Last edited:

untouchablecuz

HSC
COMP1911 Course Outline 2010s1

(i dont know why more people dont read the course into, good info in there)

so since your right on the edge they might move you up or down, although i dunno how you know your exam mark already...
LOL ill start reading them from next sem

and i'm only estimating, i passed all tests for Q 1 2 3 so im assuming full marks for them, and only part marks for Q 4 since it didnt work completely

LordPc

HSC
if you failed the prac exam but you did well throughout semester (labs and assignments were good), they should offer you a supp exam where you come in and attempt the practical part again (dont have to redo the written part)

as i said before, you should only be worried if you dont know how to program. they really dont want to fail anyone who can program

joshuaali

HSC
I took a look at the paper. Given two hours, it didn't seem overly difficult. Question four may have been the only challenging one, remembering the syntax of fgets/fscanf, etc., but then again, you could've always searched them in the unix manual ;)

CSE are quite lenient. For example, if you fail, they'll most likely let you sit a supplementary exam. However, they do enforce their hurdles (e.g. you must get over 50% in the final exam to pass the course), but then again, most courses from every faculty have a similar hurdle in place.

The 1917 students are set to do their exam tomorrow. Being given three hours instead of two, it is probably around 1.5 times harder than the 1911 exam.

For a comparison, a few sessions ago, the top mark in 1917 was 98 or so (from one student), whilst the top mark in 1911 was 100 (by four students).

cjtk

HSC
N/A
last year session1, top mark for 1917 was 96, from four students. The top student also topped a third year course...on the other hand top mark for 1911 was 100 from three students...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)