COMP1911 and ENGG1811 (1 Viewer)

munkaii

HSC
Hey guys,

I need some quick replies here so please help out! I'm doing Mechatronics Engineering and enrolled in ENGG1811 instead of COMP1911. I could change my timetable but it would become a 9-7 day for me which will be quite brain consuming however if I have to do it i shall. I'm wondering whether the loss due to doing ENGG1811 is substational and whether i should change to COMP1911. I'm considering a change to Mechanical Engineering for 3rd and 4th year though I haven't come to a decision yet.

Can i pick up COMP1911 in 2nd semester or in Summer School? If so how much would it cost. Also, what are the likelihoods of getting into a tutorial which has already been deemed full on the unsw website? Are tutors and lab people lenient enough to allow extras or are the numbers fixed?

Edit: Oh and one final question. Will I need to complete any courses that require COMP1911 as a pre-requisite during the course of my Degree. I looked through the planner but did not find anything.

Thanks.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
hey there

i know someone else doing mechatronics and they are enrolled in ENGG1811....i know COMP1911 is basically just programming and with mechatronics there is a fair bit of programming involved. if you haven't programmed before, it might be a good idea to do COMP1911.

COMP1911 does not run in the summer session i dont think.

I don't know about getting into an already full tutorial - my recommendation is to ring or speak to the school of computing and talk to them.

I'm pretty sure that COMP1911 is not a pre-requisite for any other courses you will do in your program

munkaii

HSC
So how does ENGG1811 differ to it? Is it not as in depth?

I can change to COMP1911 but it will mess up my schedule quite a bit so I'll contact to the school of Comp science & Engineering and see if I can get a better class.

gman03

HSC
zagadka said:
COMP1911 is being run by two fantastic lecturers and I really recommend you take it instead of ENGG1811. ENGG leads nowhere, COMP1911 will lead to other COMP courses if you end up liking it
Althought comments are a bit biased, I still agree with him. Do COMP1911 if you have the opportunity. ENGG1811 is either too easy or too hard which is bad either way

munkaii

HSC
Thanks for the advice guys. Whilst the times I have aren't desirable at all, I'll make do with COMP1911. 9am-7pm isn't the best but it will be better for me :)

Julz_012

HSC
i'd be careful if i were you. i was deciding between the 2 last semester and ended up going with COMP1911. only do it if you can stand the programming, and are willing to put in a lot of work. i thought i was pretty good with computers but failed anyway

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
I'm sure they're fine, the thread is a year old so they would've done it the same time you did :p

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Thats because higher comp is for students in cse and eet related degrees and who will need comp later on, for civil it wont be listed as an alternative but you can still do it.

gman03

HSC
Actually higher comp was made to exclude eet because of their higher failure rate.

eet students made the lecture less exciting. i am sure there exists a person out there who will support what i said

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)