comp1911 vs comp1917 (1 Viewer)

andybandy

HSC
What are the differences really? I was in my first lecture today, and our professor said that really the only difference between the classes is how much stuff gets thrown at you, and if you enjoy programming and such, as both courses don't need prior experience in programming, so people who are in comp1917 what would you say its like ?

HSC
N/A
COMP1911 versus COMP1917 (from COMP1911 website)
This course is intended for students who are not computer science majors. If you are a computer science major you should not be enrolled in this course unless you have a good reason, which you have discussed with your degree coordinator. Computer science majors and others who have a keen interest in computer science, and think they may take further COMP courses should enrol in COMP1917 instead! If you have previous programming experience - {\bf and enjoyed it} - choose COMP1917 A bridging course will be offered to 14s1 COMP1911 students in the midyear break. It will cover the material in COMP1917 which is not covered in COMP1911. Satisfactory performance in the exam at the finish of this bridging course will allow students to enrol in courses such as COMP1927 which have have COMP1911 as a prerequisite.

andybandy

HSC
COMP1911 versus COMP1917 (from COMP1911 website)
This course is intended for students who are not computer science majors. If you are a computer science major you should not be enrolled in this course unless you have a good reason, which you have discussed with your degree coordinator. Computer science majors and others who have a keen interest in computer science, and think they may take further COMP courses should enrol in COMP1917 instead! If you have previous programming experience - {\bf and enjoyed it} - choose COMP1917 A bridging course will be offered to 14s1 COMP1911 students in the midyear break. It will cover the material in COMP1917 which is not covered in COMP1911. Satisfactory performance in the exam at the finish of this bridging course will allow students to enrol in courses such as COMP1927 which have have COMP1911 as a prerequisite.
Thankyou, I think I might do the bridging course thing instead

froogle

HSC
N/A
The real differences:

- Comp1917 covers a LOT more content. In fact, comp1911 covers around 65% comp1917. (The following course 1921 does the rest plus a bit more). It is higher computing for a reason. Some people may feel that it is too much. It is by no means an easy course as you will need to put a lot of time and effort to get the most out of the course. That said, it is one of the most challenging yet rewarding courses you will do in first year.

- Comp1917 is run like an online course. All lectures are pre-recorded (recycled from previous years). This leaves very little work in the actual timetabled lectures (used for additional content and revision with the lecturer) which gives you added flexibility. The course is run on a system called OpenLearning, which is where all the videos, discussion and activities are set. Comp1911 has a more traditional lecture at uni and then set lab excercises per week.

- Assessments are also different. Comp1917 makes you do a 'resume'/portfolio at the end showing some stuff you have done and what you have achieved. Plus a final exam and a prac exam. ie - no actual marks for labs or assignments. Comp1911 has your good old lab excercises, assignments, projects and exams.

Other myths:
- Students feel that they need to have prior programming experience for comp1917. This is not true and the majority of the cohort would have had little to no prior experience.
- Comp1911 is easier. Not necessarily. It moves at a slower pace but expect a good challenge with some of the assignments and the projects.
- You cannot change. Because of the close parallelism between the two courses, you can to or from 1917. For the exact date ask the lecturer however from memory they are quite lenient about this. Give it a try.
- Comp1917 has harder assessments. It is a harder course but the assignments are cooler. Remember that assignments do not gain marks directly so a good and genuine effort can be rewarded generously.
- Richard is awesome! Yes he is, but the other lecturer, Andrew Taylor is great as well. You won't be too disappointed either way.
- The two courses are about programming. Whilst you would learn programming in both courses, the true art of computing is problem solving. Both courses emphasise this and will teach you how to look at problems in a different, analytical way.
- Only CSE majors do comp1917. Many students from all faculties do the course for their gen ed. Mostly those seeking a challenge, have an interest in computers or to try something new.
- I did IPT/SDD in year 12. Love it or hate it. Whilst some ideas/concepts are useful the majority of it will not give you any advantage. Computing is not taught in schools well so chances are this course will be very different.

In the end, if you are up for the challenge, do comp1917. It is (like most comp courses) difficult, but can be a lot of fun and very rewarding in the end. If you don't have that much time then 1911 is ok as well. As with most things, you can't and won't be forced to put the time and work in. If you have a genuine interest and motivation then go for it.

Hope that helps :)

andybandy

HSC
The real differences:

- Comp1917 covers a LOT more content. In fact, comp1911 covers around 65% comp1917. (The following course 1921 does the rest plus a bit more). It is higher computing for a reason. Some people may feel that it is too much. It is by no means an easy course as you will need to put a lot of time and effort to get the most out of the course. That said, it is one of the most challenging yet rewarding courses you will do in first year.

- Comp1917 is run like an online course. All lectures are pre-recorded (recycled from previous years). This leaves very little work in the actual timetabled lectures (used for additional content and revision with the lecturer) which gives you added flexibility. The course is run on a system called OpenLearning, which is where all the videos, discussion and activities are set. Comp1911 has a more traditional lecture at uni and then set lab excercises per week.

- Assessments are also different. Comp1917 makes you do a 'resume'/portfolio at the end showing some stuff you have done and what you have achieved. Plus a final exam and a prac exam. ie - no actual marks for labs or assignments. Comp1911 has your good old lab excercises, assignments, projects and exams.

Other myths:
- Students feel that they need to have prior programming experience for comp1917. This is not true and the majority of the cohort would have had little to no prior experience.
- Comp1911 is easier. Not necessarily. It moves at a slower pace but expect a good challenge with some of the assignments and the projects.
- You cannot change. Because of the close parallelism between the two courses, you can to or from 1917. For the exact date ask the lecturer however from memory they are quite lenient about this. Give it a try.
- Comp1917 has harder assessments. It is a harder course but the assignments are cooler. Remember that assignments do not gain marks directly so a good and genuine effort can be rewarded generously.
- Richard is awesome! Yes he is, but the other lecturer, Andrew Taylor is great as well. You won't be too disappointed either way.
- The two courses are about programming. Whilst you would learn programming in both courses, the true art of computing is problem solving. Both courses emphasise this and will teach you how to look at problems in a different, analytical way.
- Only CSE majors do comp1917. Many students from all faculties do the course for their gen ed. Mostly those seeking a challenge, have an interest in computers or to try something new.
- I did IPT/SDD in year 12. Love it or hate it. Whilst some ideas/concepts are useful the majority of it will not give you any advantage. Computing is not taught in schools well so chances are this course will be very different.

In the end, if you are up for the challenge, do comp1917. It is (like most comp courses) difficult, but can be a lot of fun and very rewarding in the end. If you don't have that much time then 1911 is ok as well. As with most things, you can't and won't be forced to put the time and work in. If you have a genuine interest and motivation then go for it.

Hope that helps :)
Wow, thanks heaps for that detailed award!

That being said, I don't think I'm really prepared to put the effort, though I do like computers and programming, I'm going to see how this course goes, if I love it and its easy, I'll do the bridging course in the holidays, and pick 1927 for the next course :) thanks anyway!
Also good to hear richard is awsome! Andrew taylor was awsome to!

Khe123

HSC
N/A
i'm enrolled in comp1917 but in moodle/blackboard I can't find any lecture notes/tut notes....can these be found anywhere else?

D94

HSC
N/A
i'm enrolled in comp1917 but in moodle/blackboard I can't find any lecture notes/tut notes....can these be found anywhere else?
Probably OpenLearning.com

lolwot

HSC
Check your zMail, there is an e-mail "COMP1917 - getting started" and that will tell you all you need to know! And yeah as D94 says its through Openlearning, in the e-mail it will tell you how to register for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)