Company Tutoring Pay? (1 Viewer)

Plankt0n

HSC
Hi, I am starting a new job, teaching year 7-10. I have applied for a few tutoring colleges.
I want to know what an acceptable pay is? I am currently being offered $25/hour, but would like to know whether I should ask for more ($30-35)

Does anyone have experience/pay they'd share, just so I have an idea?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Generally speaking, $25 per hour is slightly below the average hourly rate offered to tutors. Whether you should push for a higher rate, such as $30-$35 per hour as you mentioned could depend on a couple of factors:
  • The number of hours that you will get to work as a tutor each week.
  • Whether you have strong qualifications and/or previous tutoring experience (preferably at a tutoring company).
If you will be giving multiple lessons each week (resulting in a good number of work hours), which seems likely given that you will be assisting students in years 7-10, then perhaps you may wish to consider accepting the rate that is currently being offered to you, especially if you lack either strong qualifications or previous tutoring experience as of right now. This is because you can still earn some good money at $25 per hour if you will be providing multiple lessons. If this is not the case (i.e. you do not expect to be giving multiple lessons/working a good number of hours), then you should probably request a higher rate, mainly because the pay may not end up being satisfying with a lower rate and lower number of work hours.

Having strong qualifications and/or previous tutoring experience are fairly self-explanatory elements. If your qualifications extend beyond having completed the HSC and achieved favourable HSC marks in particular subjects and/or a high ATAR, such as being a current university student or recent university graduate (high GPA/WAM may also be a bonus), your value will increase as a tutor, given the increased insight and subject-specific knowledge that you will be able to transfer to your students. Additionally, having previous tutoring experience can indicate that you are familiar with different aspects and approaches to tutoring, which also increases your value as a tutor because of the higher chance that your own teaching style will be highly effective. Based on this, if any of the above aspects apply to you, then you should consider requesting a higher rate. If both apply to you, then you have a good reason to request a higher rate. If this is not the case, then you should probably accept the rate that you have been offered, until you become in a position to request an increase.

In terms of personal experience, I have previously worked at a local tutoring centre. While I did not have prior tutoring experience back then, the centre was kind enough to offer me a tutoring job, also at $25 per hour which I accepted for this reason. I was later able to request and successfully increase my hourly rate to $30 because by then not only did I gain tutoring experience but the manager became more aware of my tutoring abilities.

I hope this helps! :D

Plankt0n

HSC
WOW! This is a great write-up. Thanks so much for the info.
One question. How long did you wait to ask for a raise? At the end of the day, I don't need the job, and if I find the centre can raise my pay without firing me, I would ask for a raise, given I hold the power in negotiating.

I thoroughly would accept $25 to begin with, if i was working 3 x 3 hour classes.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
WOW! This is a great write-up. Thanks so much for the info.
One question. How long did you wait to ask for a raise? At the end of the day, I don't need the job, and if I find the centre can raise my pay without firing me, I would ask for a raise, given I hold the power in negotiating.

I thoroughly would accept $25 to begin with, if i was working 3 x 3 hour classes.
No worries! I waited approximately between 6-7 months. At that point, I was quite certain that the manager would have gained a good idea of my abilities, so I asked for a raise and he accepted.

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
I think Jimmy smiths answer is fairly good. I can add a different perspective which might be helpful.

I've been a trainer and tutor for the past 12 years, I have worked with hundreds of tutors and taught over a thousand students, and I can tell you my career is pretty typical of your skilled tutor. Over the course of my tutoring career, I have earned 4 degrees and completed vocational teacher certification.

When I first started back in 2011, I focused on year 5-10 math, and I was paid around $10-$15 per 1 hour lesson privately [0 years' experience, no degrees, no teacher certification].

In 2013, after 2 years or private tutoring, I was hired by a local firm, my tutoring hours increased from around 5 per week to around 20 per week, this firm paid me $20-$25 per 1 hour in home lesson [2 years' experience, 40% undergrad completed, 0% graduate completed, no teacher certification].

In 2016, I was then fortunate enough to take up a resident tutoring position in a local facility, where I was the main math tutor, I started getting around $35-$50 per 1 hour in Centre lesson [~5 years' experience, 80% undergrad completed, 0% graduate completed, vocational teacher certification completed].

In 2019, I then left my resident position and launched my own firm. I was initially receiving around $50-$60 per lessons for in home lessons [~8 years' experience, 100% undergrad completed, 20% graduate completed, vocational teacher certification completed].

Currently I receive around $70-$90 per 1 hour lesson for online lessons, and I have a full schedule essentially every term (20-30 students) [~12 years' experience, 100% undergrad completed, 90% graduate completed, vocational teacher certification completed].

I would expect at the 15 years mark that I will be getting about $100 per hour. I have some colleagues who are a few years older (in their 40s and 50s) and some receive as much as $200 per 1 hour lesson for their work.

If you inflationary adjust these numbers, this is a rough estimate of what a tutor earns across the first 10 years of an average career.

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
What do you tutor?
My main area of subject expertise is math (upper secondary, vocational, undergraduate, and graduate). I am certified as a vocational and undergraduate math educator.

I also teach upper secondary and undergraduate students in: business/economics/engineering/industrial technology/earth & environmental/physics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)