• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

competition (1 Viewer)

doe

HSC
N/A
hey guys

i was just wondering, do you feel like you're in competition with the other students in you course? i have never really felt like this, i just to my work to the best of my ability given the time i have and i think (with one exception) my marks always refelected that. to me its different than the hsc where the school was given a quota and it was up to them to determine the students that got the mark in the quota, and so it was important to try and be better than other students. at uni its a bit different, they dont say 'we have x hd's to give out and i think they should go to him and her' etc. if everyone does well, everyone can get a hd (even though the chances of that actually happening are virtually nil).

Generator

HSC
N/A
A number of unis/faculties rank their students.

doe

HSC
N/A
yes everybody is ranked, and usually marks are scaled, but do you, personally, feel like you are in competition with people doing your course?

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
i don't really feel like im in competition with people doing my course, but that's mainly because most of my closer friends aren't doing the same course as i am.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Not really, but then I do not know many of the people taking my course (or major). It's only a competition if you are working with/against against known quantities.

Every course that I have taken has made use of a quota system. That's what I trying to say. However, you were talking about your own situation, not mine. Ah well.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
No I don't really feel like I am in competition with anybody but myself. There again, I didn't really feel like I was in competition with other students in the HSC either:p.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't feel it at all...maybe because I'm in a course with over 700 students (Accounting)

Assasinator_2

HSC
i don't necessarily feel i'm in competition, but i do like competing with my peers and prove that i'm better. adds some spice to the work :D

doe

HSC
N/A
ive got this lecturer at the moment who thinks we're competeing with one another, so he's doing all this stupid stuff thats making the unit :|

i was wondering if it was just me who didnt agree with his view ... i might go see him about it

santaslayer

HSC
If you are to feel a sense of competition than you should really take a broader perspective....you're in competition with everyone that graduates within five years (front or back) from the same degree, nation(world?)wide . :) Merely competing with the small circle of friends you know is a waste of time. :)

Assasinator_2

HSC
Merely competing with the small circle of friends you know is a waste of time.
Not at all, if it pushes you all to achieve better.

For example, i got 6/5/5/4 on my last semester. Sure, nothing to scoff at, but i didn't put in all that much effort (read: 1 hour study in total for the entire semester) whereas half of my mates pulled 7's and 6's. Thus, this semester, i'm striving to beat em by acutally doing work/studying/etc and hopefully proving i am better than em :p

Hopefully then next year, if i beat them, they'll try to beat me once again, and then we're both doing better than we used to be.

Competition is all good, so long as it doesn't overstress any parties in it.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i dun get marked.. just competent or not.. or kinda competent

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i try not to, but its hard, because if your mark is in the lower portion of the group, it makes u feel bad. if next time your mark is higher up, you have successfully outcompeted some ppl in your course. Sure they tell you everyone can get HD's but in reality, there is always a bell curve, and to be at the top, you have to have some competition to make u study when you dont really want to.

In saying that, theres no way you can compete fairly against some people. For example, how can i compete against someone who doesnt work and doesnt have to spend any time travelling to and from uni, when i work 15 hours a week and spend a further 15 hours in transit?

In some situations, one persons pass is worth much more than anothers distinction simply because of the amount of effort they put in to getting that mark. And in the big wide world, the pass gained while working may look more favourable to employers than a distinction gained while bludging.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I'm just trying to do my best, and trying to pass in Chem

Nobody's really competing, everyone's got their own goals, nobody tries to run each other down, we all help each other out. It's pretty cool actually

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yeh it's definitely competitive if you know that there is only a certain number of Ds/HDs they give out, and you know that most people in the course is the same standard as you. getting a couple of 74s in the previous semester doesn't help either haha

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
santaslayer said:
If you are to feel a sense of competition than you should really take a broader perspective....you're in competition with everyone that graduates within five years (front or back) from the same degree, nation(world?)wide . :) Merely competing with the small circle of friends you know is a waste of time. :)
Why within five years, and what do you mean by front or back:confused:?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
its definitely competitive when u consider that there are less than 500 ppl that do my course each year in NSW and ACT, and that half of these wont get a job related to what they done, and that out of all the graduates in many years, in all of australia, only about 80 gets accepted to get the top level of professional qualification each year...

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
depends on ur personality i guess... if u are comeptitive person, then u will see every else are competin fiercely...

personally, i got all upset when i got shitty marks...

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i don't really care abt wat others r doing or wat marks they r getting?? i don't want 2 waste my time thinking abt competing with so many students doing commerce....high school was a diff thing.....At uni its different! u can't sit around competing with 900 first year's doing acct...blah...blah!! as for me, as long as i get the marks i want....im happy!!!:D

bt at times me and my fwnds do compete....just for fun...!! n this actually motivates us n makes us study better.....!!

@ xiao: every1 gets upset when they gt low marks!! btw how did u find the mikes bikes quiz?? i think it was better than wat i had expected!!!!

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
xiao1985 said:
depends on ur personality i guess... if u are comeptitive person, then u will see every else are competin fiercely...

personally, i got all upset when i got shitty marks...
but you don't normally get ranked so you don't know how shitty/good they really are

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)