Competitions? (1 Viewer)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I noticed theres a few competitions around based on year 11/12 subjects, just wondering if there is a list anywhere? I have seen two coding competitions and a economics essay, there is others right?

waller

HSC
There's also Olympiads for chem, bio, physics and maths I think (might be others). They're a lot harder than the HSC and you really have to know your stuff to do well in them.

If you're really interested in the subject I'd definately advise giving it a go, it's pretty fun.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Ok, looked it up and it sounds good. These kind of things look real good on scholarship applications aswell. :skip: Do you have to be in year 12 for the olympiads though?

waller

HSC
You actually have to be in Yr11 or younger to sit the NQE, as the actual Olympiad takes place in Year 12 when the top students from each disciple are selected.

It's kinda good that it's in Yr11, as you don't really have anything important happening. It's a good experience though, and yeah it does look good on a resume if you do well (hard though).

sinophile

HSC
N/A
You have to be fucking good to go to the Olympiad. Like, state-ranking good.

waller

HSC
Yeah actually I should've been more specific; when I say you could "Do the Olympiad" I mean you could sit the National Qualifying Exam, where stuff is given out like High Distinction, Distinction, Credit etc.. Then if you are amazingly good and do well in that, you can progress further.

But still, the NQE is a good experience by itself, much harder than HSC papers.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yeah actually I should've been more specific; when I say you could "Do the Olympiad" I mean you could sit the National Qualifying Exam, where stuff is given out like High Distinction, Distinction, Credit etc.. Then if you are amazingly good and do well in that, you can progress further.

But still, the NQE is a good experience by itself, much harder than HSC papers.
Hmm ok, should i try and start studying now or at begining of year 11 for NQE? Any reccomendations for resources i could use? (chem + physics)

waller

HSC
Study whenever you want - it's really a competition for students who have genuine passion for the subject, and the NQE is an exam to select the best of the best. Still, even just doing well in the exam is pretty rewarding. Can start 'studying' now if you wish, but it shouldn't be forced. Learn for the sake of your own knowledge I guess.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
I noticed theres a few competitions around based on year 11/12 subjects, just wondering if there is a list anywhere? I have seen two coding competitions and a economics essay, there is others right?
What coding competitions have you seen, I participated in the NCSS Challenge (and was later accepted into NCSS) and I know of UNSW's ProgComp. Were those the ones you were thinking of?

HSC
N/A
If you are looking for things to do, to put on your Applications I recommend doing the YAA Business Skills Program. Once you are allocated into a team, apply for a leadership role.

Remember, its not just about academics, especially for scholarships, they want well-rounded individuals and they mean it.

Schoey93

HSC
UNSW ICAS (International Competitions and Assessment for Schools) multiple choice and constrained response tests in:

• Science
  • English
  • Mathematics
I have to do all three every year cuz I always end up in the top class, for whom it is compulsory

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)