Completely bombing one subject in Yr 11 = repeating whole year? (1 Viewer)

raggiedoll

Scumbag
HSC
This term I've been focusing on acing my humanities subject exams and I know I'm going to drop maths for year 12. My teacher knows I'm going to drop it but she still wants me to sit the exam. The exam is tomorrow and there's an almost inevitable chance I won't get over 10-20% for it, let alone pass it. Will getting an N award for one subject but getting about say 80% for all my other subjects still mean I would have to repeat yr 11? I know it may sound like a stupid question but I've heard rumours that it can happen. In my previous Maths exams I got around 30% for each one...I really don't want to be in an awkward position where my teachers say I haven't passed year 11 :(

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Some people in my cohort got 10-12% in exams... And they haven't repeated.

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
I believe an N award is given if you don't do the required hours or do not complete/do not give a serious attempt at an assessment. That being said, if you make a serious attempt in this exam (work through a couple of questions and re-read examples done in class) you will not be getting an N award.

Since you'll be dropping the subject next year, if you do get an N award in MATHS this shouldn't affect your other subjects nor should the school force you to repeat (if they offer it just decline, you're dropping maths anyways).

enoilgam

HSC
I believe an N award is given if you don't do the required hours or do not complete/do not give a serious attempt at an assessment. That being said, if you make a serious attempt in this exam (work through a couple of questions and re-read examples done in class) you will not be getting an N award.

Since you'll be dropping the subject next year, if you do get an N award in MATHS this shouldn't affect your other subjects nor should the school force you to repeat (if they offer it just decline, you're dropping maths anyways).
This pretty much - N awards are reserved more for non attempts and non-serious attempts. So just do your best in the exam so you at least get a halfway decent mark and can claim that you gave it a serious attempt. Plus, from the looks of things you are carrying 13 units for Year 11 - so you have to do the exam as you need 12 units to complete Prelim.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Have you received any N-award warnings? If not, you are not in danger of receiving an N-award.

Jenny927

Buttercup
HSC
N awards only applies to those who hasn't tried or sat in the exam. If you have attempted most questions in the exam then you will NOT be getting a N award. I am failing 2 subjects in my prelims but the teachers has seen me attempting it and also I am doing well for the rest of my subjects with 80 - 90% as my marks. So repeating a year ... they would have to consider alot of other factors, if you do well for the rest of your subjects, you should be safe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)