Completely dropping Mathematics? (1 Viewer)

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
Hey, at the moment I am in a pretty crap situation. I have 11 units, and recently dropped Biology because it seemed like a good idea. However, I could stand Biology, although I wasn't the biggest fan, but I could stand it (and my marks were fairly good, even without studying). In Preliminary Mathematics I didn't really study or do my homework, and just receiving my Prelim test result, I can tell you I am not a happy camper (yes, I didn't study, so I got what I expected, but I had legitimate reasons - don't ask). My class is averaging at about ~30% and the highest Preliminary examination mark was 66% (still pretty crap).
Further, I am fairly sure the general mathematics classes are full, and the people in there constantly complain about the teachers never actually arriving to class (so a substitute shows up instead and teaches them). The highest general mathematics mark was 64% (the highest mark, AND the only person to pass in the whole cohort. They were somebody who recently dropped down from 2U maths).
So I guess dropping to general is out of the question. Additionally, I never really studied/listened in Preliminary Bio (because I figured I'd just drop it and use the free time to study hard for mathematics).

My first question is: is it really necessary to have the preliminary course knowledge to succeed in HSC biology? I know, for a fact, a lot of other subjects don't really need the Preliminary course content - most of it is irrelevant/only appears in multiple choice questions.

My second question is, considering I've already dropped Biology, if I would be allowed to, should I pick it back up, catch up on the 3 weeks' worth of work I missed out on, drop Mathematics COMPLETELY, and somehow review the Prelim Bio course (if that will be of any help/not a waste of time)?

EDIT: Sorry for the disjointed structure/poor writing, it is really late and I am really anxious.
Thanks very much.

Last edited:

bedpotato

HSC
Firstly, why do you want to drop maths, because you don't like or aren't doing well? If you're not doing well because you're not studying, maybe you could start studying and see how you go.

If you do decide (and you're allowed) to pick up bio, you don't need prelim for hsc. And catching up on 3 weeks of work isn't that bad. I would suggest you probably pick up bio (if you can ofcourse). Considering your other subjects and rank, it seems like a better option than keeping maths.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
There are a few concepts in Prelims that you need in year 12 bio. Aside from that you should be fine, considering that you've satisfactorily completed prelims.

I would drop to general and smash all the general kids if I were you. It would be the best decision to take.

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
The thing is the General kids don't even have textbooks and the teacher never shows up. I also think the classes may be full. My motivations for dropping the subject are: it may be too late to actually build up my maths skills. If I try to study and build my skills up and still suck, I will be stuck in a cohort where I won't be able to get 1st, with a cohort average of around 30%. My class has one Mathematics Extension 2 student (who got 60 in the prelim) and a few noobies that do extension 1 that I still beat. But I don't think I will be able to beat that one kid, so my moderated assessment mark, etc. will be raped by the class average. For 2u we have a 2001 maths in focus textbook... It's not that great. Yes, this has no logical order but I am typing on a phone so no h8.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
The thing is the General kids don't even have textbooks and the teacher never shows up. I also think the classes may be full. My motivations for dropping the subject are: it may be too late to actually build up my maths skills. If I try to study and build my skills up and still suck, I will be stuck in a cohort where I won't be able to get 1st, with a cohort average of around 30%. My class has one Mathematics Extension 2 student (who got 60 in the prelim) and a few noobies that do extension 1 that I still beat. But I don't think I will be able to beat that one kid, so my moderated assessment mark, etc. will be raped by the class average. For 2u we have a 2001 maths in focus textbook... It's not that great. Yes, this has no logical order but I am typing on a phone so no h8.
Ask if there's places in general, and if there is, kick ass. Seriously, who cares about that dude who got 67%, you can do better.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Ext. 2 kids don't do the advanced course. Just sayin.

HSC
You would need a few prelim things from bio as it builds on in year 12.

As a safer option I would definitely pick up bio again. I know you just missed 3 weeks worth of work but I think it would be worth it and it isn't too late for that. Why can't you keep both maths and bio for the first term or something? Because maths gets a lot harder as time goes on, you're only a few weeks into the HSC course. Personally from experience, I would keep both just to be safe.

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
I got 31% in my Mathematics preliminary exam. I got ~80 in Bio without studying. Further, I hear so many horror stories about general mathematics scaling terribly, etc. etc. Wouldn't an 80-90 (hopefully in Bio) work out to be better than a 80-90+ in General? I honestly don't know if I can improve in Mathematics.

MrBeefJerky

HSC
It’s never too late to build up your skills. If you put in a few hours of maths every day or finish your homework, you will eventually know how to tackle every question because each question will be very similar after a while. Yes Maths in Focus isn’t a very good book so maybe purchase another textbook and work through it e.g. Cambridge. Have you seen the syllabus for general maths and adv maths? The topics are really different, general maths with probability/measurements and 2u has algebra/quadratics. I wouldn’t drop because of one kid you can’t beat and what will happen if you drop and don’t end up coming first?

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
But I am doing so poorly, my class average is horrid, the workload is tremendously high (not to mention the rest of my subjects are really demanding), and if I leave it any later it will just exacerbate my situation.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I think you're answering your own question. Drop maths and pick bio back up.

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
Not to mention, do people that just do 2U and not extension ever perform well in 2U? It just seems to me that the only people that ever find 2U maths relatively easy are those that do Mx1 and mx2. Further, they appear to be the only ones who perform well in it.

youngsky

poof
HSC
Not to mention, do people that just do 2U and not extension ever perform well in 2U? It just seems to me that the only people that ever find 2U maths relatively easy are those that do Mx1 and mx2. Further, they appear to be the only ones who perform well in it.
Yeah this happens at most schools. Honestly if you want to improve your 2u mark all it takes is a good textbook and doing as many practice questions as you need (from easy 2u level to hard 2u level) to understand the stuff. 3u people find 2u waay easier cause the hardest questions they ask can usually be easily done using 3u methods/thinking.

asdfghjklmz

HSC
Once you drop a subject you can't just pick it up again, unless they haven't recorded it down on the computer
Don't drop down to general, extremely bad scaling! If you try hard, it shouldn't be hard

Last edited:

KitchenSinky

HSC
Once you drop a subject you can't just pick it up again, unless they haven't recorded it down on the computer
Don't drop down to general, extremely bad scaling! If you try hard, it shouldn't be hard
You shouldn't have picked Standard English. It aligns badly and your chances of a Band 6 are non existent; real ATAR killer HAHA. Although if you try hard you're still fucked.

Jimmy2064

HSC
I got 31% in my Mathematics preliminary exam. I got ~80 in Bio without studying. Further, I hear so many horror stories about general mathematics scaling terribly, etc. etc. Wouldn't an 80-90 (hopefully in Bio) work out to be better than a 80-90+ in General? I honestly don't know if I can improve in Mathematics.
I was in your same position (except I had 12U, so it didn't count), didn't end up dropping maths and I regretted it. If you don't have an interest in maths, drop it, because you'll never study for it & general seems like a shit option too. Go Bio I'd say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)