Complex calculator (1 Viewer)

Momentazeus

HSC
For casio calculators, are the fx-100 the only ones that can do complex? Can the 82 ones do complex? If not, why do they still have the cmplx thing at the top?

yanujw

HSC
I have an FX 82-AU and it can do complex. It involves using the buttons 'POL' (polar form) and 'REC' (rectangular form).

icycledough

HSC
I think the 100 allows you to use Cartesian form (x + iy), but not sure about the 82. Honestly, it was mainly easier for M/C questions, where they would ask for like roots of x + iy questions or something similar.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
My son, who’s just finished the MEx2 HSC exam, said he found the fx100AU Plus (2nd edition) to be superior to the calculator models recommended by the school (which has only started offering MEx2 in recent years), so I bought one for each student who took MEx2 as a subject. It can potentially save a couple of minutes with complex number questions - doesn’t sound like a lot but every minute counts.

icycledough

HSC
Agree ... it's also very helpful to check your work. With Cartesian questions, they may not be that difficult, but there is a potential for silly mistakes to be made, so it can prevent those. Especially in a subject like 4U, you want to eliminate silly mistakes as much as possible, as even getting marks can be quite difficult.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)