complex number question (1 Viewer)

poptarts12345

HSC
how do i solve this :

Suppose that the complex number z has modulus one, and that 0 < Arg z < π/2 . Prove that 2 Arg(z + 1) = Arg z.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Geometrically, draw a unit circle, pick any point on the circle in quadrant-1, to represent z. The complex number 1 is on the circle where it intersects the x-axis. If you draw the parallelogram with adjacent sides representing z and 1 you have the diagonal thru the origin as the complex number z+1. This diagonal bisect the angle of the //gram at the origin (this is arg(z)) since it is a rhombus. Therefore this diagonal bisects said angle. But arg(z+1) is half of this angle. That is it is half of arg(z). Hence arg(z) = 2 x arg(z+1)

Last edited:

erucibon

HSC
N/A
Plot out the info on a unit circle and use a circle geo property

ultra908

HSC
r we expected to know circle geo properties for questions like this

Edit: no circle geo required for this question. But are we expected to know certain circle geo theorems to do complex questions? ik some schools do circle geo in yr10 but mine didnt. If we do need to know them, which ones?

erucibon

HSC
N/A
r we expected to know circle geo properties for questions like this
Edit: no circle geo required for this question. But are we expected to know certain circle geo theorems to do complex questions? ik some schools do circle geo in yr10 but mine didnt. If we do need to know them, which ones?
It is supposed to be assumed knowledge, but it is just the one where the angle at the circumference is half the angle at the centre. That one is the main one you need for some locus questions in 4u

ultra908

HSC
It is supposed to be assumed knowledge, but it is just the one where the angle at the circumference is half the angle at the centre. That one is the main one you need for some locus questions in 4u
Which circle geo theorems r assumed knowledge?

erucibon

HSC
N/A
Which circle geo theorems r assumed knowledge?
Technically all of them that other people learnt in year 10, but the one i mentioned is the only one I've used in yr 12 (if i can remember corectly

ultra908

HSC
Technically all of them that other people learnt in year 10, but the one i mentioned is the only one I've used in yr 12 (if i can remember corectly
lmao do u have a list of those theorems or somewhere i can find them? ty

erucibon

HSC
N/A
here is a list, but now that i actually look at them you honestly only need to know the circum-centre angle one and that tangents are perpendicular to centre

Attachments

beetree1

HSC
My teacher told me we arent allowed to use circle geometry in proving anymore since its not in syllabus? SOMEONE CONFIRM??

idkkdi

HSC
My teacher told me we arent allowed to use circle geometry in proving anymore since its not in syllabus? SOMEONE CONFIRM??
seems like bullsht that nesa and external markers would do. Don't they get paid per paper? If it's paid per paper, honestly, they wouldn't bother with things that look different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)