• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Complex Numbers Division (1 Viewer)

xV1P3R

HSC
Hi, I found this question in a textbook and was wondering how you
would divide x³-2-2i by x+1-i

The answer is
x³-2-2i = (x+1-i)[x²+(-1+i)x-2i]

I've tried turning it into a fraction and realizing the denominator, but end up with something horrible. I suppose you could manually alter the numbers so they factorize nicely, but I was wondering if there was an easier way.

Thanks

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Don't recall a general technique for doing this. But I tried a long-division approach after converting problem into:

Then do a long division: 1st you have x2 + xi as 1st "multiple" which you then multiply with the divisor and you end up with:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
continued from above:

Next you have [-x-2i] as the next "multiple". On multiplying this with the divisor you get exactly the above "remainder". End of division.

Result of division: [x2 + xi] -[x+2i]

which is equivalent to the reqd result.

xV1P3R

HSC
Oh Awesome, thanks. Long Division does look easier after realizing the denominator. Didn't quite see that before.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I just did the question on paper and you actually don't need to factorise the quotient or realise the denominator at all.

Click here for the solution :)

jchoi

HSC
Synthetic division for me is like poo. Only because I remember I learnt it the day before one of my exams, and I failed using it in a 4 mark question out of 30 trying to save time, and actually wasted time and marks.

I'm 100% sure it's quicker and easier if you get used to it, but I suck at it! HELP ME!!! lol;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)