Complex Polynomial Question Help (1 Viewer)

kingkong123

HSC
Hey guys i need help with this question:

What ive done so far is for part (i) I showed that the stationary points are both under the x-axis (simply by finding P'(x)=0 and subbing back into P(x)). I then proved one is a relative max and the other a relative min (by testing P''(x)). Hence there must only be one real solution with the other solutions occurring in a conjugate pair due to real co-effs. I need help finding the values which lies between.

For part (iii) i let the roots be . Then using product of roots i got but , therefore . I need help getting the values for which the modulus lies.

Also any comments on my method? Any easier method??

Thanks in advance!!

Ferox

HSC
Just sub in numbers to see when p(x) goes from negative to positive. It's between 4 and 5, which you might have guessed from part c. That means the modulus sqrt(5/a) is between sqrt(5/5) and sqrt(5/4) or between 1 and sqrt(5)/2.

D94

HSC
N/A
This question was in the PHS 2011 half yearly or trial paper :)

For the first part, you could use Newton's method, then by showing the root is not a whole number, you can take the whole numbers before and after. However, since the question really tells you to plug in a number because you need to know if for the following sections, I'd say the fastest way is to guess and check. It's 4 and 5, but looking at the third part, just equate beta and one of the known values in the question to determine the root is between 4 and 5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)