Composer Roll Call! Liven Up This Sub-Forum! (1 Viewer)

joy_sze

HSC
Hello!!

At the beginning of yr 12, the music teachers had a discussion and they decided me doing 6 performances is risky... (Er just shows how good I am at performing...) They told my parents I had talent in composition, probably so my parents would persuade me too?? I don't know but the bit about talent is so NOT true cause I have zero experience, zero training with non-1-line-melody-pieces before yr 11. So yea they "decided" I had to do composition for my 3u...

I didn't do any interesting combination of instruments...
2u Core: theme & variation piece for flute & piano, entire piece based on 8 chords
3u: Hungarian folk dance for clarinet & string quintet, with a random clarinet cadenza in the middle section. A kind of sad Tango for piano duet.

*Yawns* How boring do my pieces sound...

smileylyndall

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
At the con, they teach you a lot of other things.

I've done a bit of scribing for a professional composer - doing parts and general "making it look nice" from his sketches - just keying in the notes into Sibelius. I divided the workload with a friend, but all up, the pay was $600. And that's the first shot of I've had, no experience.
Hey ur_inner_child, how did you get into that? I'd love to get some work like that...I'm a saxophonist hoping to go to the con next year...i also love composing and am planning on studying it privately next year...I am EXCELLENT at sibelius if thats what you used - my music teacher called me the shortcut queen :)lol Transcribing for a pro would be AWESOME

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
smileylyndall said:
Hey ur_inner_child, how did you get into that? I'd love to get some work like that...I'm a saxophonist hoping to go to the con next year...i also love composing and am planning on studying it privately next year...I am EXCELLENT at sibelius if thats what you used - my music teacher called me the shortcut queen :)lol Transcribing for a pro would be AWESOME
Once you join the conservatorium, and are a composer, you get sent a lot of opportunities. Basically the staff is awesome at their mail outs :)

Also, the Australian Music Centre, if you are a member, send out a Sibelius Opportunities Listings for performers, composers and musicologists each month. Mostly competitions and such, but well worth it.

Nicci_15

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Ur_inner_child
I have my audition for composition at the con in a few weeks, and I would love 2 talk 2 u more bout my course.

Mon

Last edited:

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Wow, this forum really is dead. Let's get it going again. I'm doing a composition for Music 1 - it's a metal piece witha lot of clean parts.

Sofstar

HSC
Ive almost completed my frist draft for the elective in music II. Contains a fhorn, violin, cello and double bass. A picture inspired piece.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
I might try composing in a completely different style to see what I can do with my Music 1 comp... It seems as though i've hit a huge brick wall even though I have quite a few ideas up the sleeve.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I just thought I'd update this thread with my doings in my degree.

I'm now 3rd year. I'm going to start doing Honours subjects this year, which for my particular course, means 12 units of Arts subjects, a mini thesis and majorwork at the very end.

I'm finally doing Composer Performer Workshop. I'll tell you more about that unit as the year progresses. I'm writing for violin, viola and piano. I was originally going to have 2 percussionists, saxophone and trumpet assigned to me, but I swapped for several reasons ;)

Anyway, I'm also composing for Guitar and Recorder this semester. You might find that "meh"ish. But I wrote for chamber orchestra last year, so I just want to go back to small ensembles/duo. I got a High Distinction for that ensemble :)

I'm not sure how I'll write for guitar and recorder. Guitar will be a challenge. I thought I might add a lot of percussive elements, both the recorder (not the silly highschool kind) and guitar are able to do some interesting sounds.

As for my music tastes, I've been moving over to electronic stuff recently. Electronic with Live instruments. I'm probably going to try my hand in it in the second half of the year.

Anyway yeah :)

Guys keep telling me about yourselves!

Sofstar

HSC
I've stopped working on the elective for now and started the core composition, at the moment looks like it's written for a jazz band.

idling fire

HSC
Hey guys and girls. :p

I'm doing a composition for HSC Music 1, but I haven't decided what. Ideally, I'd probably prefer to be doing 2 comp's, now that I think about it. Anyone know if it's too late to change?

Blaec

HSC
Depends on when you have to submit your next assesment. Its easier to do 2 composition than 2 diff' things, means you only have to consentrate on one area yeh?

Im doing comp' for Ext, full orchestra. Bought my sound libraries and got a studio happening :p

Sofstar

HSC
I have a friend doing music 1 who has just been told to write another composition. And a friend in my class who has also just been told to do composition instead of performance.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
idling fire said:
Hey guys and girls. :p

I'm doing a composition for HSC Music 1, but I haven't decided what. Ideally, I'd probably prefer to be doing 2 comp's, now that I think about it. Anyone know if it's too late to change?
Don't think so.

idling fire

HSC
Ahh no, not too late. Just too late to do it nicely - I get to fill out paperwork, yay!

Silly teacher was trying to talk me out of doing 2 comps... "It's a lot of work. Blah." Well excuse me for being bad at performances.

And I agree, this whole sub-forum needs more activity - how about backing music for each thread? :uhhuh:

Sofstar

HSC
idling fire said:
And I agree, this whole sub-forum needs more activity - how about backing music for each thread? :uhhuh:
Great idea!. Beethoven please.

Im currently wondering whether or not i should write a guitar bass solo in one of my compos. Any thoughts/tips?

tehjkunk

HSC
I suppose i'll continue the trend ^_^.

Course: HSC Music 2 Core (Audition for Con)
Composition Period: Music of the Last 25 Years (Australian Focus) [sounds more impressionistic or somehing though]
How Far into the Process are you? Completed :)
What are you writing for? A Solo Piano
What are you thoughts? Kinda nice and everything but could've done more with it, doesn't matter though i'm satisfied enough with it.
Link? http://xiongz.com/jun/HSC%20Compositions/Conversationalisation.mp3

Course: HSC Music 2 Elective (Audition for Con)
Composition Period: Big Band Jazz of some descript
What are you writing for? Big Band (Modified Stage Band)
What are you thoughts? Experimenting the various styles of Latin and Funk. My First (and Only for now) Big Jazz Work
Link? http://xiongz.com/jun/HSC%20Compositions/Downtown%20Funk.mp3

http://xiongz.com/jun/HSC Compositions/Conversationalisation.mp3Course: HSC Music Extension A (Audition for Con)
Composition Period: 60's Jazz Combo With a Twist?
What are you writing for? Flute, Clarinet, Vibraphone, Piano, Double Bass, Drum Kit
What are you thoughts? I like :) nice and happy, allowed me to explore the mixolydian mode and merge it with jazz
Link? http://xiongz.com/jun/HSC%20Compositions/Lizard%20Dance.mp3http://xiongz.com/jun/HSC Compositions/

Course: HSC Music Extension B (Audition for Con)
Composition Period: Orchestral - Game Music/Film...maybe
What are you writing for? Orchestra....can't be bothered to name all the instruments
What are you thoughts? Theres a reason why i wasted my primary days playing games =p
Link? http://xiongz.com/jun/HSC%20Compositions/Onward%20To%20Victory.mp3

haha hope ya enjoy my compositions and comments and crits would be much appreciated

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Oooh la la, you did four comps like I did!

I'd like to have a listen, I merely dropped by to check small details but I'll definately have a listen very soon :)

I hope you get into the Con! I might even meet you!

When are the interviews? Sometime soon hey?

tehjkunk

HSC
haha yeh, during schoolies or so i've been told :(
Ah wells, i'm asian so its not like i go schoolies or anything
But yeh, it'd be rad ta meet up with ya at the con :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)