Composing your essays (1 Viewer)

Owyn

HSC
I was leeching smartness of a friend, when he pointed out you have to use tecniques in your essays to show you can compose analytical... well im not really sure why, but im pretty sure hes right.... so i was wondering, what tecniques do you use, or do you think could be used?

The ones i use intinctively are formal diction, and well i think thats about it... so yeh, and help would be awesome :)

volition

arr.
HSC
Yeah I'm actually trying to learn more about these techniques myself, but I know that one popular one is symbolism.

Owyn

HSC
hmm, hadnt thought of that one.... i could see how it could be effective, but i dont know if i trust the markers to pick up on it.... like, with the trials when they had 30 minutes or so per essay to mark they still managed to miss something id done.... so with like 5 minutes or however long they spend marking..... idk

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
are we talking techniques for you to use when writing your essay or to write about in your essay. Obviously the latter is far more important to your mark than the former. Basically all you need for an analytical essay for the former is a third person, fomal tone. Make sure your tense stays the same throughout the piece. repetition and alliteration/assonance can help, but they must be used very judiciously or will come across poorly. remember, is someone is talking about improving your 'essay technique' they aren't talking about what techniques you use in writing your essay but the basic structural composition, synthesis, evalution (or lack thereof) etc. ability to fully synthesise your texts is a far more important skill to master and will push your marks up much more than cluttering your essay with literary techniques.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
silvermoon said:
are we talking techniques for you to use when writing your essay or to write about in your essay. Obviously the latter is far more important to your mark than the former. Basically all you need for an analytical essay for the former is a third person, fomal tone. Make sure your tense stays the same throughout the piece. repetition and alliteration/assonance can help, but they must be used very judiciously or will come across poorly. remember, is someone is talking about improving your 'essay technique' they aren't talking about what techniques you use in writing your essay but the basic structural composition, synthesis, evalution (or lack thereof) etc. ability to fully synthesise your texts is a far more important skill to master and will push your marks up much more than cluttering your essay with literary techniques.
In other words.. are you asking for help with the meat or the presentation of the burger?;)

silvermoon: use paragraphs!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)