Composition help (1 Viewer)

evilelmo_2005

HSC
:guitar:I suck at composition, I don't know how to compose. The only thing I can probably do is get the melody for the right hand. I don't know how to make the left hand (which is usually the accompanyment right?). Can someone give me a guide or steps on how to combine the melody with the left hand? And also I don't know what to do for the rythm... \( '3')/

ochaguy

HSC
Hey there.

I just finished HSC music 2 and extension 2009, majoring in composition.
All 4 of my compositions were nominated for Encore, perhaps I can help you out?
Mind you, I'm not sure how old this post is, but if you are interested, send me an email at happy_shaun@hotmail.com or just PM me :)

meeatu

HSC
I just finished HSC music 2 and extension 2009, majoring in composition.
All 4 of my compositions were nominated for Encore, perhaps I can help you out?
Mind you, I'm not sure how old this post is, but if you are interested, send me an email at happy_shaun@hotmail.com or just PM me :)
:eek: Wow! That's IMPRESSIVE!
Mind if I ask you a question or two via your email too?
I'm doing 2 comps, and at the moment, I've only got scraps and ideas, maybe a few riffs.

What topics did you pick for your comps?

I think I'm doing music of the 20th century for one (probably going to do an art-music piece) and music for small ensembles :)headbang: rock/metal? -Leaves it pretty open) :rolleyes:

ochaguy

HSC
Hey there!

I chose music between 1900-1945 as my Music 2 elective topic. But really.....you can pretty much do anything and as long as your cover page explains clearly how your composition remotely links with the topic, you'll be fine.

Feel free to email me directly at happy_shaun@hotmail.com for any more enquiries.

Sorry about the late reply, the BOS follow up notification thing just aint working for me.

meeatu

HSC
Hey there!

I chose music between 1900-1945 as my Music 2 elective topic. But really.....you can pretty much do anything and as long as your cover page explains clearly how your composition remotely links with the topic, you'll be fine.

Feel free to email me directly at happy_shaun@hotmail.com for any more enquiries.

Sorry about the late reply, the BOS follow up notification thing just aint working for me.
:]
Cheers.
I'm doing Music 1, but as noone else in the class is doing any compositions, I'm sitting in Music 2 classes every week :p

Yeah, I figured that would be the case, but I picked really general elective topics anyway, just in case :p

I'll email you sometime when my composition is less of a bunch of ideas, and more of an actual piece of music in construction :p

Got Tuxguitar btw?
It's a great little program that can be downloaded free online which I'm using to write most of my composition on. It's so much easier to use than sibellius and the midi sounds slightly better. Only down-side is that the actual score is less detailed etc (especially for drums), but I solve this problem by using Tuxguitar only to write the piece, once it's finnished, I export the midi file to Sibelius, and hey presto! :p

ochaguy

HSC
Hey there.

Unfortunately, I've never heard of Tuxguitar before...but I presume you're a guitar player rather than a keyboard player....

Unfortunately for you, I'm a diehard Sibelius fan. But fortunately for you, my scoring speed could be described is as fast as touch typing.

As for midi/mp3 rendering, I use a software called Propellerhead Reason. The sound library has 5000 instruments (more can be downloaded obviously) and its the industry standard for synths (bar logic pro). It's the software that street musicians use most of the time. Go check out the website if you want.

Oh and a small point. Unless the drum part has a ridiculously important role (apart from keeping rythm), dont write for drum kit. You are much better off integrating rythmic stuff into the guitar part with taps and strums and the like. Hardly any HSC markers really care about drum kits in general....you've got to play the game....

meeatu

HSC
Hey there.

Unfortunately, I've never heard of Tuxguitar before...but I presume you're a guitar player rather than a keyboard player....

Unfortunately for you, I'm a diehard Sibelius fan. But fortunately for you, my scoring speed could be described is as fast as touch typing.

As for midi/mp3 rendering, I use a software called Propellerhead Reason. The sound library has 5000 instruments (more can be downloaded obviously) and its the industry standard for synths (bar logic pro). It's the software that street musicians use most of the time. Go check out the website if you want.

Oh and a small point. Unless the drum part has a ridiculously important role (apart from keeping rythm), dont write for drum kit. You are much better off integrating rythmic stuff into the guitar part with taps and strums and the like. Hardly any HSC markers really care about drum kits in general....you've got to play the game....
Oh, if you can use sibelius that fast, then there's no point in using tuxguitar. I just find sibelius completely infuriating. It makes me cry :/

I'm neither to be honest... Or both... depending on how you look at it...
I play guitar, piano, drums, bass, violin and I can sing/scream, but I can't do any of them all that well. Just enough to know how to compose for all of them and to get a wider appreciation for the musicianship required in playing all of them :p

I was only suggesting Tuxguitar so that if I wanted to send you files so you can get a better Idea of what I'm talking about if I ask you something. But if you have sibelius, then that's fine, I'll send you midi files, which sibelius should be happy to import :]

I'll give that program a listen, I was planning on simply recording myself playing each of the instruments, but if that thing is any good, then that could make the serialism/orchestral piece a LOT easier. :p - recording dozens of layers doesn't sound fun.

Gah! Fuck the beurocracy of it.
Drums are tasty! :p
I'm not one for doing it how they want it done, even if I loose marks for it.
Artistic integrity! XD Fuck playing the game. ^__^
Plus, aren't all instruments meant to be of equal importance? (unless of course in your process diary and in accordance with your genre/topic you can explain why not).

Meh. I like my drums, they are something I am actually good at writing for.
And I'll make them sexy enough that they can't be ignored ^__^

Hahaha great... Now that you said that, I'm going to have to write the one thing that non-drummers hate the most... a drum solo XD

If it's any comfort, I won't be sacrificing rhythmic interest in the guitar part for it though. I'm a rhythm nut, melody is not so important to me as rhythm lol, so I'll just have to pay attention to my melody, my rhythms won't run out ^__^

ochaguy

HSC
Well it' sounds like you know you are doing with the concept and instrumentation already, which is great.

Anyhow, feel free to send some stuff over once you're ready. Can't really help you anymore till then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)