• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

composition portfolios, ARRRGHH ! (1 Viewer)

compo^_^guy

HSC
hey, im doing my HSC in '05 and im workin' on my first composition now in the hols, does anyone find that the portfolio gets in the way on composing, its a hasle i tells ya ! besides what am i actually meant to put in there ?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Maintaining the portfolio is good practice, all you do is dump your draft copies, notes and stuff like that into a folder, where they'll never be seen again.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Composition Portfolios???? Dont stress to much over it.... ( if its just for Music 2 ) you dont have to hand it in anways, its just back up.... but for Music Extension keep it clean, neat and filled.... .put anyhting in there, random tickets, or Bits of scores that you have read, Album reviews, others compositions that you like ( Make sure you give them credit) research on composers, different styles of music, Ticket stubs, Burnt CD"s of recordings that you like..... and then Drafts , or little Short phrases of your own music... dont stress over the portfolio

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
Hey Bunny04... you go to AIM... do you know some guy called Steve Simpson? joined last term i think.. in yr 11. plays bass and Guitar?? :)

anyway, the thing with process diarys. you've just gotta get into a rhythm of doing it every week or something. make it a part of your life and its all good... :D

compo^_^guy

HSC
hey thanks yeh i am doing extension, i just normally right the composition straight out without thinking. I guess it is good practice ! :)

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
nondil said:
Hey Bunny04... you go to AIM... do you know some guy called Steve Simpson? joined last term i think.. in yr 11. plays bass and Guitar?? :)

anyway, the thing with process diarys. you've just gotta get into a rhythm of doing it every week or something. make it a part of your life and its all good... :D
Yeah heard of him but didnt know soem of the new Year 11's cause of HSC was not at school alot....

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
Bunny04 said:
oh okies, kool.... Yeah new students to AiM Is all Good! :D we were really low on Yr 11 students this year... :S only 15 .... and we had 22 in yer 12 Phew, luckily new ones are all coming! :D
G. thats not many! Steve will bein in yr 12 next year, and his bro Dom is joining yr 11 next year as well. :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
if its like anything like my school, you also have to write all your thoughts etc, and write all over your drafts with a different coloured pen and say what's happening. Even though this can take you more effort, its certainly worth the effort looking carefully at your score and asking yourself whether certain parts are really necessary....

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
its also good for reflecting and seeing if you've neglected a section that sounded really good - or an idea that you loved!!
I'm loving it, because its just helping me progress from raw chords, to chords with aditions, to a melody!

vas y molo

ggrrr I hate the poftfolio.

speaking of which, ive done like half a page. eep.

My last portfolio (for viva voce) was awesome, because it was so easy. I did it on Mariah so it wasnt like doing school work when i was researching for it! :p

lollypops

HSC
Hey! For the portfolio what types of things do you include? Is it your inspiration and all of the listening you have done? I'm doing Music 1, so is it best to have a scrap book and write in entries and glue in drafts and things or should I type on the computer?? I'm really unsure of what to do? PLEASE HELP!!!! Thanx

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Technically, the portfolio is nothing more than a guarantee that you actually did the work. When I completed mine, all I did was put copies of my draft scores at different parts of the "compositional process" into a folder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)