Compound's electrical neutrality? (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
all compounds are pretty much.
ammonium ion is not a compound

Lukybear

HSC
so if ammonion ion is not compound what is?

so does that mean carbon monoxide is not compound?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^listen dp. That guy is a chem olympiad AND chem state ranker.

But I always thought that there were few compounds that were electrically positive or negative but meh, I don't do chem so don't quote me.

dp624

HSC
umm where the heck did you find out i did chem olympiad o_O i dont remember telling ppl about it??? but i didnt go for 08, hsc took priority lawl
haha

well ammonium ion is a RADICAL. compounds by definition are always neutral... i think.. bit hazy, been a long time

but carbon monoxide IS neutral

wikipedia said:
Elements form compounds to become more stable. They become stable when they have the maximum number of possible electrons in their outermost energy level, which is normally two or eight valence electrons. This is the reason that noble gases do not frequently react: they already possess eight valence electrons (the exception being helium, which requires only two valence electrons to achieve stability).

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
umm where the heck did you find out i did chem olympiad o_O i dont remember telling ppl about it??? but i didnt go for 08, hsc took priority lawl
haha

well ammonium ion is a RADICAL. compounds by definition are always neutral... i think.. bit hazy, been a long time
you didn't directly tell me about it...haha I have got these advanced technology of sense organs such as eyes to view the whole threads on this website. LOL

Anyway, really? Wow, I reckon it's true that you always learn new things everyday. I just guess that I didn't listen very hard in my chem classes...haha

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Lukybear said:
how do u become chem olympiad?
You take chem olympiad exam. If you are like top 20-30 in the nation you get selected to go to some camp then you get selected to represent australia if you are really good. my friend is physics olympian - absolute freak!

dp624

HSC
Lukybear said:
how do u become chem olympiad?
umm, do an exam (chemistry national qualifying exam)
get top 20 in australia
go to scholar school in canberra
get top 4 there
go overseas and get a medal

i got invited in yr10 (vs yr12s haha) and went to SS but didn't make top4
in yr11 i got invited again but declined to come.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
umm, do an exam (chemistry national qualifying exam)
get top 20 in australia
go to scholar school in canberra
get top 4 there
go overseas and get a medal

i got invited in yr10 (vs yr12s haha) and went to SS but didn't make top4
in yr11 i got invited again but declined to come.
so you were born to be a state ranker in chemistry, aye? :eek:

I wish there were other olympiads such as commerce olympiad or even religion olympiad LOL!!

Lukybear

HSC
o wow, you must be a freak...(no offence)

so does the school offer the chem national qualifying exam? & is it based on the syllabus?? or is it just natural ability?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Lukybear said:
o wow, you must be a freak...(no offence)

so does the school offer the chem national qualifying exam? & is it based on the syllabus?? or is it just natural ability?
A lot of schools do offer that exam. It is more based general stuff I believe but YOU can actually study for it. Just type in chem olympiad on google and download the syllabus from there and study your ass off.

dp624

HSC
the NQE (exam tingy) is based on 1st year uni shiz. you should ask your teacher to apply you in, its a free exam. but prepared to get like 20% raw or less if you dont know your stuff.
theres a syllabus online, somewhere....

haha did you know there is a languages olympiad lulz?
and hm did you know i'm not pleased with my external chem mark =O it was 97, i got a 99 internal so i really could have been =2nd in state with one of my best friends =P but i got 9th, oh well.

and another thing, a lot of chem olympiad ppl dont pwn the externals really hard. there are some of course but the courses for both are heaps different

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
the NQE (exam tingy) is based on 1st year uni shiz. you should ask your teacher to apply you in, its a free exam. but prepared to get like 20% raw or less if you dont know your stuff.
theres a syllabus online, somewhere....

haha did you know there is a languages olympiad lulz?
and hm did you know i'm not pleased with my external chem mark =O it was 97, i got a 99 internal so i really could have been =2nd in state with one of my best friends =P but i got 9th, oh well.
Yeah, that's unfortunate. My friend from giarraween came third in chem = 99 (that's not to say that he doesn't deserve it, he truly deserves it). I guess it depends on individuals' condition on the day for the exam...

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
Yeah, that's unfortunate. My friend from giarraween came third in chem = 99 (that's not to say that he doesn't deserve it, he truly deserves it). I guess it depends on individuals' condition on the day for the exam...
but yknow, clerical recheck JUST IN CASE hahaha. most likely nothing. but yea whatever might as well, 13.60 is jack all $$

and lukybear you arent competing with us, youre 10, we're different years lol

sunken eyes

HSC
A compound is a molecule which consists of two or more species of atoms.
Electrical neutrality is a function of charge.
The two are unrelated, other than to say most compounds probably are neutral. But it's by no means a fait accompli. Think of a multivalent acid. H2SO4 for example. It can partially disassociate in water to HSO4 with a valence of minus 1. There we have a charged compound. Similarly the hydronium ion created by acid disassociation is a compound, H30(+1).
I must disagree with the previous poster who stated that ammonium is not a compound. It is a compound molecule, and a cation.
The two different properties are independent of each other. Learn the definitions and apply them appropriately and you'll see how they are unrelated. Hopefully the examples helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)