compsci or engineering (1 Viewer)

moonsuyoung

HSC
Hi guys..

Should I pursure compsci or engineering ? I'm thinking of somewhere in cybersecurity or AI for compsci and for engineering I'm not really too sure but I heard the work environment isn't too good but I know that compsci is very oversaturated. Which one should I pursue or should I just become an actuary or smth

HSC
Go compsci if it's something you have passion and the ability to excel in
If you want to work in tech/stem-related generally, go engineering since it's less of a gamble
If you have the time and effort, do a double

carrotsss

HSC
comp sci is definitely becoming more competitive but from what I’ve heard there’s still plenty of demand for good devs, so if you’re willing to put in the effort to actually get good at coding and work on projects etc beyond just uni work as well as having decent soft skills then you should be fine

engineering depends a lot on which type of engineering you go into, generally you’ll probably find employment in something but it might not be an actual engineering job (esp stuff like mechatronic engineers in australia)

actuary is just a bit boring

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
Either one is fine so don't stress just look into what the degree entails and which careers they lead to and trust whatever your gut is telling you

liamkk112

HSC
Hi guys..

Should I pursure compsci or engineering ? I'm thinking of somewhere in cybersecurity or AI for compsci and for engineering I'm not really too sure but I heard the work environment isn't too good but I know that compsci is very oversaturated. Which one should I pursue or should I just become an actuary or smth
majority of actuary jobs end up just being excel work from what i’ve heard (it is a business degree after all), plus it has essentially no relevance to your interests so like why pick it. for cybersecurity and ai these are kind of “niche” fields that exist under compsci/swe, so a degree in either works as a starting point. yes the market is over saturated as everyone likes to say but there’s still an abundance of jobs and it’s really not too bad, because most jobs aren’t necessarily requiring in person as well you can tap into overseas job markets as well possibly (ik someone who does this, they work for a us tech company yet live in australia).

in terms of engineering the discipline really has a large difference on your job. civil engineers can be pretty involved in terms of on site visits and things like this, whereas electrical engineers would likely just stay in an office for example (but there is a lot of variability in this). the work environment is fine from what i’ve heard, i think there can be some crunch but same for the majority of jobs really. engineering also is much more multidisciplinary than compsci jobs, you need to understand and be good at the design process, have coding skills, have a good understanding of things like legislation and protocols in some cases, have really solid grounding in maths and physics, etc, which makes for a much wider skill set than what you get with compsci

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)