• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

compSci or IT? (1 Viewer)

memo

I really can't see companies hiring graduates in management positions so comp sci probably offers better job prospects to get your foot in the door in IT (usually programming). That said some of the unis here (USYD, UTS?) obviously have a better B.IT program compared to B.CS.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
@ MEMO: no.....leadership is preferred in jobs such as DB administrator, Business Systems Analyst, Systems Analyst, Project Leader...so you are better off with IT...while computer science.......i think most programming jobs are and will be outsourced...same with software engineering...while they will always need DB admins and Business Systems Analyst!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by lil_star
.......i think most programming jobs are and will be outsourced...same with software engineering...while they will always need DB admins and Business Systems Analyst!
true, and the place where they going to b outsourcing is to places where there's is cheap labour such as india. :p

Majesty

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
true, and the place where they going to b outsourcing is to places where there's is cheap labour such as india. :p
Having any IT/Computer Science degree as a graduate feels like running in a park naked.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by Majesty
Having any IT/Computer Science degree as a graduate feels like running in a park naked.

o_O

I can't wait :D

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
@ freaking_out: so IT is obviously better than Comp Science!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by lil_star
@ freaking_out: so IT is obviously better than Comp Science!
hmm...na i would say comp. science- but both IT and Comp. science are disadvantaged bcoz of the "outsourcing" factor...but i guess u can't outsource things like hardware repairs- so yeah...both have ups and downs. :D

Majesty

HSC
N/A
y?
Cos it's something that has been considerably devalued over the years. Hence another reason why i changed to a double degree. Many software projects and helpdesk type jobs are being outsourced to places like India. Oh and the fact that it's not a very stable market, one day you could be earning something nice next day you could be without a job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)