CompSci vs SEng vs Comp Eng (1 Viewer)

MikiRei

HSC
Originally Posted by gman03
A question to ask yourself: if someone show you how to solve a problem and later ask you to solve the same problem, do you i) memorise the answers, or ii) remember the techniques he/she used? If your answer is (i) then you will struggle in either of the degree.
Heh - good one there. I'm gonna use that from now :p - basically, if you hate memorising, comp should be good for you. If you rely TOTALLY on memory, don't bother. You won't survive - sounds harsh, but there you go.

Lol! Those are both from the gaming majors (under comp sci that is) - me only interested in graphcis (since it leads to gaming workshop) though the other one looks cool too :p

Originally Posted by aaaman
Well i have a poblem you may help me with, im stuck at choosing either Comp eng, SENG and CompSic

i really wanna do hardware(~40%), software (~30%) and something with graphics or user interface design(~30%). Would ya know what would best suit me?
Comp eng - more hardware but comp sci has more flexibility.

Keep away from seng if you want your sanity, sleep and social life - speaking of which, I should sleep - zzzzzzzzzzzzz

sunny

meh.
HSC
MikiRei said:
Lol! Those are both from the gaming majors (under comp sci that is) - me only interested in graphcis (since it leads to gaming workshop) though the other one looks cool too :p
I'm doing graphics this session...probably games workshop too next session!

MikiRei

HSC
I'm doing graphics this session...probably games workshop too next session!
I'll probably leave gaming workshop till 4th yr. NO WAY I'm doing seng workshop AND game workshop all at the same time. I might as well jump off a cliff if I do do that.

*gasp* Can't wait for graphics :p

Sonata

HSC
which of the two CSE or CompEng, involve more of using/fixing etc, the computer/laptop infront of you. Also which mainly focuses on graphics, gaming, 3d modelling i.e multimedia stuff.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
hehe if you mean designing computer hardware and systems then comp eng more but for graphics and multimedia stuff is towards comp sci but comp eng involves software together with hardware. Theres the b digital media/comp sci combo there.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
woah politik, you're doing econ, comp eng and arts?

Sonata

HSC
another question wat type of maths and physics is used through out CSE?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
FYI visitors.
UNSW Computing = CSE (Computer Science and Engineering)
The former term is advertised to the world.

Sonata said:
another question wat type of maths and physics is used through out CSE?
Physics?
Motion in one and two dimensions, rotational kinematics, gravity, momentum, Newton's laws, energy conservation, Hooke's law, thermodynamics, waves, simple harmonic motion, ideal gas and more.

As for maths,
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=3470557&postcount=5

If you are a student in Computer Science or Computer Engineering you are considered an engineer anyway who must study these topics.

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
maimed said:
Hello,
I want to go to UNSW when i finish school and i have been reading through this whole thread but i still can't really decide on what is the best of the three for me. I want to do some software and hardware but i think that i really want to go into networks when i leave uni. I would rather not do a lot of maths if possible.
What would be the best suited of the three for me? And also is Maths ext 1 definatly needed for all three cources i do it at the moment but just curious thanks :)

Hi,

Each of the options have a similar first year offering however they will differ a great deal by the time you are finished. This page has some information: http://www.computing.unsw.edu.au/comparison.php

If you are not sure what you really want to do in computing then computer science will allow you to take many electives in all areas. Software Engineering has fewer electives and focuses more on the engineering principles applied to computing as well as some information systems courses.

Computer engineering will require more maths (SEng requires more maths than compsci as well) and focuses a lot on the hardware side. So I would probably say Comp Sci for you because it would provide you with the most freedom and you can usually transfer after a semester or year.

Regards

Adam

word.

HSC
Forbidden. said:
FYI visitors.
UNSW Computing = CSE (Computer Science and Engineering)
The former term is advertised to the world.

Physics?
Motion in one and two dimensions, rotational kinematics, gravity, momentum, Newton's laws, energy conservation, Hooke's law, thermodynamics, waves, simple harmonic motion, ideal gas and more.

As for maths,
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=3470557&postcount=5

If you are a student in Computer Science or Computer Engineering you are considered an engineer anyway who must study these topics.
Out of the three you will only need to do physics in computer engineering. You are not considered an engineer if you do computer science. There is a lot of maths to be done in first year regardless, but you'll find that most of what you learn in first year math is not as important as they make it seem. Make sure you pay attention in discrete math and in particular set theory and predicate logic.

Do comp sci for flexibility, you can basically go into anything you want.
Software Engineering is like comp sci, except:
- you get a lot less electives
- you write a lot more reports
- you get a lot less sleep
- you lose a lot of sanity
- you're forced into learning about boring information system stuff like in ipt and you get these lecturers trying to teach you about computing who know nothing about computing and get excited explaining what buttons are on user interfaces
- you become recognized as an engineer
from what i hear about computer engineering, it's like comp sci but:
- you're forced to do physics and some hardware courses like microprocessors
- you become recognized as an engineer

TheSuperior1

HSC
Does anyone know exactly how many people do computer engineering since it's rarely mentioned. Also what kind of devices can you make in this course?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I still can't make up my mind. Comp sci or bit :/ i heard bit does a little programming but mainly focuses on applying I.T to business situations. whereas Comp sci is more practical in terms of creating software applications. I'm cut in between the two.

I don't like the fact that BIT is separate from UNSW Computing department...even though it's still accredited by the ACS.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)