CompSci vs SEng vs Comp Eng (1 Viewer)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Nah, dont bother doing computing from other schools other than CSE. Someone told me about a physics course teaching computational mathematics, its pretty bland and boring I heard.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Just a question: Im doing BSc(computer science)/BSc(pure maths) next year, how difficult would it be to fit in a double major for computer science (if possible at all), considering ill be 2nd year next year in maths and with any luck can start on 2nd year computer science units?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
there's no majors for compsci
computer science is the major in your BSc

you can start doing COMP2xxx subjects as soon as you have done all the required pre-requisites

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Well i have a poblem you may help me with, im stuck at choosing either Comp eng, SENG and CompSic

i really wanna do hardware(~40%), software (~30%) and something with graphics or user interface design(~30%). Would ya know what would best suit me?

gman03

HSC
aaaman said:
Well i have a poblem you may help me with, im stuck at choosing either Comp eng, SENG and CompSic

i really wanna do hardware(~40%), software (~30%) and something with graphics or user interface design(~30%). Would ya know what would best suit me?

IMHO Comp Eng.

Firstly MATHXXXX, PHYSXXXX, ELEC1011, COMP2121, COMP3222, ELEC2031 & 2, COMP3211, ELEC3006, TELE3013 are hardware related. these comprise ~ 35% of the degree which relates to hardware. Then COMP1XXX, COMP2011, COMP3231 + other comp electives such as compiler and a course on graphics will make up another 25% of the degree on programming. Another 10% on software development (in comp sci and seng as well) and the rest on your thesis.

I think comp eng suit you.

You can always do graphics along with other things.

gman03

HSC
miss_gtr said:
arts as in a BA (B of Arts)... do a double degree..B Sc (Comp Sc)/B Arts :)
Oh yes! make me a philosophical compiler which it THINKS it compiles but it doesn't. :p

don't worry about what a compiler is. ;)

aaaman

Banned
HSC
I do i do!!! lol its the process of turning low level source code into machine code but i need a decompiler for VB :)

well with gaphics in comp eng can i study the user interface and stuff like that or graphic animations?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
underthesun said:
Nah, dont bother doing computing from other schools other than CSE. Someone told me about a physics course teaching computational mathematics, its pretty bland and boring I heard.
is it phys2020? what's so bad about it?

chainedchaos

HSC
At the moment I am torn betweem Computer Science and Computer Engineering. I'm interested in robotics and AI, so which one would be better? Also I don't do any IT subjects at school, will that hinder me in any way?

rand0m3r

HSC
i think you will be able to take both courses as electives with comp sci or comp eng. but you should have a look at the program guides at www.cse.unsw.edu.au . i know many ppl transferred from comp eng to comp sci after 1 semester coz they couldn't handle physics.

ace

is retired
HSC
chainedchaos said:
At the moment I am torn betweem Computer Science and Computer Engineering. I'm interested in robotics and AI, so which one would be better? Also I don't do any IT subjects at school, will that hinder me in any way?
robotics/AI courses are all electives atm in cse, (so as randomer has stated, doing comp eng or comp sci, doesn't matter)

not having done any it subjects at school will NOT hinder you

gman03

HSC
chainedchaos said:
At the moment I am torn betweem Computer Science and Computer Engineering. I'm interested in robotics and AI, so which one would be better?
Computer Science will suit you best, unless you happen to like making chips.

chainedchaos said:
Also I don't do any IT subjects at school, will that hinder me in any way?
A question to ask yourself: if someone show you how to solve a problem and later ask you to solve the same problem, do you i) memorise the answers, or ii) remember the techniques he/she used? If your answer is (i) then you will struggle in either of the degree.

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
gman03 said:
A question to ask yourself: if someone show you how to solve a problem and later ask you to solve the same problem, do you i) memorise the answers, or ii) remember the techniques he/she used? If your answer is (i) then you will struggle in either of the degree.
That's a very nice way of sorting the people out, should use it more often.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)