Computer - $1200 MAX - SecretNet/ARC (1 Viewer)

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
i bought my new system from itestate last week

not a bad business - check them out plus, their prices are quite competitive to msy if not, better in some cases

www.itestate.com.au

no im not advertising lol. on the topic of AMD and Intel. I did have an AMD system ~ 1 year old. But I went with the Intel this time round simply because the Intel chips are more up to date. The only thing AMD has going for them at the moment is price cuts. When they bring something new out, there is the possibility that it will render all current AM2 mobo's useless for upgrading. That's what I've read anyway - but it seems reasonable to think that.

I shelled out a couple more dollars for an e4300. I'm very novice to O/C and atm, I'm running at 2.52ghz, not very hard! and its using the stock cooler.

But anyway, enough of my blabering - just my 2 cents lol

Collin

HSC
N/A
ITestate has some of the cheapest prices around for some hardware, I also recommend them. I've bought some super-cheap hard disks off them.

AMD's price cuts keep them somewhat competitive, and that's quite enough. If I was not an overclocker and did not seek a high-end processor, I would be quite happy to invest in an AMD-based system.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Hey guys, sorry to dig up an old thread, but I didn't pursue with a computer in April due to some cash flow problems. My birthday was last week and I now finally have the money.

My budget is up to $1500, but I would prefer to be about the 1000-1200 mark so I can use $300 for some debts.

I have taken aboard your suggestion, IT Estate are local and dirt cheap!

Processor -Intel Core 2 Due E6750 S775
Mainboard -Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
Memory -2GB (2x1024MB)DDR2 PC5300 667Mhz RAM
HDD -320GB SATA-300 Hard disk drive 7200rpm
Video Card -nVidia 8500GT 512MB DirectX 10(VGA/DVI port/HDTV)
Optical Drive-18x Dual Layer DVD-Buner drive (Black)
ATX case -Gaming Case (250mm Fan on side) with 450W Power Supply
6 x USB 2.0 Port (MAX)
12 Months Parts & Labour warranty

Price: $789

Plus Options
*Intel core 2 due E6850 [$100 extra]

*500GB SATA-300 16MB Hard disk drive 7200rpm [$30 extra]

*2GB DDR2-Ram Geil PC800 5-5-5-15 [$70 extra]

*nVidia 8600GT 512MB [$50 extra]

-Speaker System Logitech 5.1 X-530 (Black) [$78 extra]

-Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition [$195 extra without Installation]

and:

WideScreen LCD Monitor 22" ASUS VW222U (2ms/2000:1ASCR) Black [$ 340.00]

Of which Im choosing the bolded items.

Total Price: $1452.

Im quite determined to get that Asus monitor, could I do away with the 8600GT GPU, and do you guys know of any bang-for-buck speakers. The stupid OS is $200 which is killing me...unfortunately I've used Win2000 SP4 all my life.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Well, I guess you could always acquire a copy from elsewhere for a lot cheaper.

I'd strongly suggest you stick to the 8600GT. Personally, I would've recommended a higher ram 8800GTS (640MB) if you were going to play high-res on that monitor. But that card will do for your budget.

Otherwise, that spec looks pretty good - no bottlenecks that I can spot (the CPU and RAM are balanced).

Monitors are all the same really - the actual panels are made by only 3 or 4 asian companies (Chi Mei, AU Optronics and Samsung are the ones I know). Most use the cheaper Chi Mei and AU Optronics panels - hence all being generally crap compared to more expensive monitors. That said, they are still very good if you're not being that picky (it's the kind of thing that you'll adjust to - a bit like dial up and broadband: get on the better one and you can never go back to the old).

*hugs my Dell 2407WFP-HC*

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
You could use StaticICE to check for the cheapest price possible on parts:

www.staticice.com.au

Just check which is the closest local store you could get the parts from (I'd design a matrix in Excel to compare which way is the cheapest / easiest to do so).

Though, that said, this method only really works if you're willing to buy the parts and work out how to assemble it yourself (it's really not that hard, as it might seem to the uninitiated). Heaps of guides online.

You could save yourself a bit of money and learn something in the process!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
a) Don't bother with the OS, I could probably hook you up :)

b) The X-530 is probably the best ones for those prices, or the Creative equivalents (forget them) but they're not bad but not that great, but you pay for the price.

Think thats all

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
CPU: Q6600 - $325 - might as well go quad core for a bit of futureproofing
GPU: 8800GT - 512 - Generic $341 - 8500 is outdated
Case: Antec 900 - $168

edit: MSY

Last edited:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
thanks for hte replies guys I'll look into it in a bit more detail later tonight...got an exam this arvo :(

I really want to save on that XP for my drinking money this Saturday! Appreciate the offer Mike :)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Excalibur_ said:
Well, I guess you could always acquire a copy from elsewhere for a lot cheaper.

I'd strongly suggest you stick to the 8600GT. Personally, I would've recommended a higher ram 8800GTS (640MB) if you were going to play high-res on that monitor. But that card will do for your budget.

Otherwise, that spec looks pretty good - no bottlenecks that I can spot (the CPU and RAM are balanced).

Monitors are all the same really - the actual panels are made by only 3 or 4 asian companies (Chi Mei, AU Optronics and Samsung are the ones I know). Most use the cheaper Chi Mei and AU Optronics panels - hence all being generally crap compared to more expensive monitors. That said, they are still very good if you're not being that picky (it's the kind of thing that you'll adjust to - a bit like dial up and broadband: get on the better one and you can never go back to the old).

*hugs my Dell 2407WFP-HC*
Yeh mate I agree, Im going to stick with that graphics card (8600GT). Cant afford the better one :(

Right now this is a massive improvement from my 19" NEC CRT (NEC is awesome - love this monitor but quite outdated)

chicky_pie said:
no arc is a bit expensive.

Google 'orangeIT' on their website they have the prices of the things you need to build/buy a computer or it's parts. and it's in pdf format btw. They're cheap btw and located in the city though

http://www.orangeit.com.au/

parts:
http://www.orangeit.com.au/parts.pdf
Agreed, ARC and Secretnet are a bit more pricey. Thanks for the suggestion, checked OrangeIt out, seem to be slightly more expensive than IT Estate.

Excalibur_ said:
You could use StaticICE to check for the cheapest price possible on parts:

www.staticice.com.au

Just check which is the closest local store you could get the parts from (I'd design a matrix in Excel to compare which way is the cheapest / easiest to do so).

Though, that said, this method only really works if you're willing to buy the parts and work out how to assemble it yourself (it's really not that hard, as it might seem to the uninitiated). Heaps of guides online.

You could save yourself a bit of money and learn something in the process!
I used static ice to get prices for the monitor. I knew of that website from good old Whirlpool.

I neither have the diligence, time nor patience to learn buddy, Im quite incompetent with building and I'm certain to fuck something up. People like me keep these computer shops in business for their pre-built desktop ranges.

AsyLum said:
a) Don't bother with the OS, I could probably hook you up :)

b) The X-530 is probably the best ones for those prices, or the Creative equivalents (forget them) but they're not bad but not that great, but you pay for the price.

Think thats all
Mike, is it true that only one version of XP will work on one comp? Or can you us the same product key for multiple computers? i.e Is it worth me investing the 200 bux? Yeh I dont need shit-hot speakers, something that has a base and does the job. Right now I'm using speakers from the 90s, of which most have blown :p

MuffinMan said:
CPU: Q6600 - $325 - might as well go quad core for a bit of futureproofing
GPU: 8800GT - 512 - Generic $341 - 8500 is outdated
Case: Antec 900 - $168

edit: MSY
Thanks MuffinMan, I've heard about these new quad things...Is it worthwhile for me, considering my budget?

I'll settle for the 8600 since I doubt Ill be playing many games, bought a PS2 with thousands of games - gathering dust...

Any more suggestions guys? I'm looking to go ahead with that IT Estate deal, with bolded options from above, this week :)

Thanks for your help!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
For educational purposes:

The XP system is very easily circumvented :)

MuffinMan

HSC
swap Q6600 with E6850 if you want, not many apps use all four cores so if you don't mind upgrading one or two years down the track you can get that.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
AsyLum said:
For educational purposes:

The XP system is very easily circumvented :)
Surprisingly, so is Vista.

...in a way that's undetectable(?) by Microsoft!

MuffinMan

HSC
Excalibur_ said:
Surprisingly, so is Vista.

...in a way that's undetectable(?) by Microsoft!
my vista ultimate x64 works fine
no comment on how i got it "licenced" though.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Went and put a deposit down today.

Slightly diff system:
E6750 Dual Core
Gigabyte P35-DS3L
8600GTS
2gb ram
500GB Samsung HDD
CM Centurion RC-T05 460w psu
Sony DVD-RW
Asus 22" VW222U
XP Pro
Logitech cordless desktop

Decided to get the operating system to just get everything installed by them there and then. I'm too lazy...

$1430

Appreciate your insight guys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)